Social media at King County
Social Media Action Plan
King County departments that use social media should have a full communications strategy that aligns with the King County Strategic Plan.
To effectively fit social media into your communications strategy, departments must complete a Social Media Action Plan (SMAP) that identifies goals, objectives, target audiences, resources, equity considerations, and more. If your department does not have a compelling reason to launch a new social media page (see below), you should plan to instead leverage some of King County's existing social media pages.
Goals for social media pages at King County include:
- Near real-time customer service (Example: Public Health on Facebook)
- Targeted communications and media relations (Example: Sheriff's Office on Twitter)
- Teach the public about King County services (Example: Loop Biosolids on YouTube)
How it works
- With your manager/supervisor and/or department PIO, please fill out a Social Media Action Plan (SMAP).
- Submit completed SMAP to the King County web team.
- Allow five (5) business days for a response, and plan accordingly.
- Please submit a SMAP 2-4 weeks before you want to launch the page to allow time for adjustments.
If you have questions or comments, please contact the King County web team.