In 2014, the Solid Waste Division was again presented with a Solid Waste Association of North America external link award. King County won the Silver Award for Excellence in Transfer Stations in recognition of the Bow Lake Recycling and Transfer Station. Read the complete award application external link Download PDF .
In 2005, the Solid Waste Division was presented with Excellence Awards in three separate categories by the Solid Waste Association of North America:
- Excellence in Landfill Gas Control Award Application Download PDF , 1.7 MB
King County won the Gold Award for Excellence for the innovative gas collection system at the Cedar Hills Regional Landfill.
- Excellence in Landfill Management Award ApplicationDownload PDF , 932 K
King County won the Bronze Award for Excellence for the Solid Waste Division's focus on preventive maintenance of equipment, facilities, roads and environmental control systems at the Cedar Hills Regional Landfill.
- Special Waste Management Award ApplicationDownload PDF , 477 K
The Solid Waste Division won the Bronze Award for Excellence for a pilot project that tested the feasibility of collecting TVs for recycling in a retail store setting.
See the Planning website for:
- Sustainable Solid Waste Management Study
- Transfer and Waste Management Plan
- Comprehensive Solid Waste Management Plan
- Optimized Transfer Station Recycling Feasibility Study
- Unincorporated Area Single-family/Multi-family Research and Pilots
See the Waste monitoring & surveys website for: waste characterization studies, market assessments, customer satisfaction surveys and more.
Transfer Station and Disposal SchematicDownload PDF , 11 K
Illustrates how the transfer station and disposal system currently works and how a typical waste export system might function.