Skip to main content
Get to know your yard
- Where is it sunny and shady?
- Where is the soil sandy or clayey?
- Are there pockets of dry or soggy soil?
Choose the right plant for the right place
- Place large-growing plants away from your house to avoid constant pruning.
- Select native or Northwest-adapted plants that grow well in our climate.
- Choose plants that resist pests and use less water.
- Group plants by their sun/shade, soil and water needs.
Give plants a good start
- Mix some compost into planting beds.
- Spread out and loosen roots so they'll begin to grow.
- Water external link with a slow, gentle stream to soak down to two inches.
- Tamp soil down for good root contact.
What about lawns and vegetable gardens?
- Lawns and vegetable gardens need irrigation, several hours of full sun and level well-drained soil.
- Limit lawn areas to locations where you need them.
Learn more online