skip to main content

Pet Licenses

Licensing your pet helps fund the life-saving work at the King County Pet Adoption Center. Each year, RASKC gives thousands of animals a second chance by providing quality care during their stay at the center while they wait to be adopted.

A license tag also protects your pet, should it ever become lost. When someone finds your pet, they can call the number on the tag to get your contact information, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so you can be quickly reunited with your pet.

Regional Animal Services of King County issues a permanent, stainless steel tag that is intended to last the lifetime of your pet. If you live in our service area, you can buy a license online right now, or purchase a license in person at one of our partners located throughout King County.

For questions about pet licensing, contact us at or 206-296-2712.

Who needs a King County pet license?

King County pet licenses are required for all dogs and cats eight weeks of age or older living in the Regional Animal Services coverage area. A pet license identifies and protects your dog or cat in case they get lost. Also, pet licenses offer lots of other great benefits as well.

Even indoor-only cats or pets confined to fenced yards get loose and their licenses help assure you can be reunited with them. Licenses are inexpensive identification and are for your pet's protection and safety. License revenue also makes it possible to reunite lost pets with their families and for adoption services for homeless pets.

How much does a pet license cost?


Type Comments Cost
Juvenile Under 6 months of age; 6 months expiration $15
Altered Proof of spay/neuter required (PDF) $30/year
Unaltered Eligible for a $25 voucher toward spay/neuter $60/year
Senior Proof that pet is altered (PDF) and proof that owner is 65 years of age or older is required $15/year
Disabled Proof that pet is altered (PDF) and proof of disability (PDF) $15/year
Service Animal Statement that owner has a disability and animal is a service animal $0
Are there late fees?

Yes, there are fees for late renewals and fines for unlicensed pets.

Days Past Expiration


Additional Cost


Late fee



Late fee



Late fee


365 or more

Late fee

$30 + prior year's license fee

What is the fine if my pet is unlicensed?

The fine for an unlicensed pet is $125 for a spayed/neutered pet, and $250 for an unaltered pet.

How do I license my pet?
What are the benefits of a pet license?
  1. Found pets are reunited quickly with their owner. The Pet License office number is on the license. If someone finds your pet, they will call the number, get your contact information, even after hours, and reunite you and your pet. 
  2. Your pet gets a free ride home the first time it is found. County staff will attempt to deliver your pet home to you immediately, skipping a trip to the animal shelter.
  3. Your pet gets a longer care period. When found, your licensed pet will be safely cared for at the Pet Adoption Center for a longer time.
  4. You and your pet get the Vacation Pet Alert. When you leave home on vacation, call 206-296-2712 to register where your pet will be while you are on vacation, who will be taking care of your pet and where to reach you. We will call the correct number if your pet gets loose during your vacation.
  5. License fees support the return of hundreds of lost pets to their homes and help adopt thousands of homeless pets to new families every year. Pet license fees also fund investigation of animal neglect or cruelty, spay/neuter programs to reduce pet over-population, and community education services.
Where can I get a license tag or a license mailer?

There are more than 300 convenient locations, including many city halls and QFC stores, in King County where you can purchase a pet license or obtain a mailer. Check the licensing locations page for a place near you.

My pet lost its tag. What do I do?

King County now issues permanent, stainless-steel tags intended to last the lifetime of your pet. However, if your pet does lose its license tag, just mail us your tag number OR your name, address, and pet's name along with a check for $5 (or go to one of our convenient locations). We will send you a new tag.

Are there any discounts for seniors? How about for pets under six months?

If you are over 65, or if your pet is under six months of age, you may qualify for a discounted pet license.

If you are over 65 years old

If your pet is spayed/neutered, you are eligible for a discounted pet license. This license costs $15 and is renewed annually. Please provide proof of your age and proof of pet's spay/neuter.

Pet is under six months old

If your pet is under six months of age, you qualify for a $15 juvenile pet license that is good for six months. After that, the full pet license fee of $30 for a spayed/neutered pet or $60 for an unaltered pet applies.

Does Regional Animal Services of King County sell pet licenses door-to-door?

Yes. King County canvassers issue license tags for your dog(s) and/or cat(s) right while they are at your doorstep. This is a great convenience to you, and provides great protection for your pet. Canvassers may visit you if you live anywhere in our service area.

Pet licensing canvassers have official King County photo identification and wear bright blue polo shirts or windbreakers or a winter jacket with the pet licensing logo. Hours are generally Sundays 1 to 8 p.m., Mondays - Fridays 4:30 to 8:30 p.m., and Saturdays 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Door-to-door marketers accept payment and issue license tags for your dogs and cats right while they are at your doorstep. When a door-to-door canvasser comes to your door, please welcome him or her.

How do I know if my animal is qualified to be licensed as a service animal?

If you have a disability and use a service animal to assist you, you can receive a King County pet license at no cost. Along with a completed pet license application, include a signed statement certifying that you have a disability and that your animal is used to assist you due to your disability.

The pet license fee is waived, but you will receive an annual renewal notice requesting your confirmation that this pet is still being used as a service animal. Once we receive your confirmation, a free license is sent. If you keep the animal after it retires from service, the annual license fee will be due.

Definition of a service animal: "Service or assistive animal" means a dog guide, signal or hearing dog, seizure response dog, therapeutic companion animal or other animal that does work, performs tasks or provides medically necessary support for the benefit of an individual with a disability.

I no longer have my pet. What do I do?

Submit an update online, or call the RASKC pet licensing office at 206-296-2712.

Do I need a license for my pet-related business?

Proprietors of hobby kennels and catteries or guard-dog related businesses in the RASKC service area require specific licenses. Download the pet-related business flyer for details, or call 206-296-2710 for more information.

Public Health - Seattle & King County also regulates and issues permits for many pet-related businesses including pet shops, aquariums, commercial kennels and catteries, pet groomers, dog daycares, animal shelters, certain pet food retailers, and businesses such as feed stores selling live poultry. For more information about these services, please visit the Public Health Pet Businesses webpage.

Our Coverage Area

Regional Animal Services covers the unincorporated areas of King County, as well as the following contract cities:

Beaux Arts
Black Diamond
Clyde Hill
Lake Forest Park
Maple Valley
Mercer Island
North Bend
Yarrow Point