Concealed pistol license
This page provides information about Concealed Pistol Licenses, with regards to:
- Applying for an Original Concealed Pistol License
- Concealed Pistol Licenses for Out-of-State residents
- Renewing a Concealed Pistol License
- Replacing a Concealed Pistol License
Click here for a Concealed Pistol License application, valid for applying, renewing and replacing Concealed Pistol Licenses.
The application process for an Original Concealed Pistol License typically takes about 30-60 minutes to complete, including fingerprinting. However, because we do not take appointments and process on a first come, first served basis, please be advised that the process may take longer. When you apply, the following are required:
- You must be 21 years of age, or older.
- You must be a citizen of the United States, or a permanent resident alien.
- If you are a permanent resident, you must provide your original Immigration issued Permanent Resident Card at time of application
- You must live in King County, or outside of WA state, in the case of non-resident applicants.
- You must have a current Driver’s License or State ID issued by Washington State or any other state. Passports or Military ID’s are not accepted in lieu of a state issued ID.
- If you have a Driver’s License or State ID issued by a state other than Washington, you may have a 60 day wait for an original application.
- The fee for an original Concealed Pistol License as of October 1, 2016 is $48.00.
- The waiting period to receive the Concealed Pistol License is 30 to 60 days, and will be mailed.
If you reside anywhere within in King County, or are a resident of another state, your Concealed Pistol License may be renewed from 90 days before expiration date and up to 90 days after the expiration date. If you apply on or before the expiration date, the fee is $32 for a regular renewal; if you apply after the expiration date, the fee is $42 for a late renewal. (Please note: If license is expired beyond 90 days, your application will be processed as an original applicant and the fee will be $48.00.) You will need to complete a Concealed Pistol License application, marking “renewal of license” as the application type for regular renewals, or “late renewal of license” for late renewals. Your current Concealed Pistol License and picture ID are required; fingerprinting is not a part of the renewal process.
If renewing your license at any of our local precinct locations, your license will be mailed to you once the background check has been completed. **If your license is within 14 days of expiration, it is recommended that you go to our downtown location to process and receive your renewed or replaced license.
The Sheriff’s Office will replace a lost, stolen or destroyed Concealed Pistol License for license holders who currently reside anywhere in King County, regardless of where the license was originally issued. To apply for the replacement license, you will need to bring your current state driver's license or ID and the $10 replacement fee. Fingerprinting is not a part of the replacement process.
Effective December 9, 2015 for the downtown courthouse location:
Due to an increased volume of requests for CPLs and other fingerprinting services, you are asked to arrive by 2pm at the downtown Seattle courthouse location for any original CPL application and any other fingerprint services. Please arrive by 4pm if you need a replacement or renewal CPL. Please note, for fingerprint services (whether for a CPL or other reasons) wait times may exceed two hours. Thank you for your patience..
King County Courthouse
516 Third Avenue - Room W-150
Seattle, WA 98104
Phone: (206) 263-2626
Hours: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. weekdays **License applications are accepted only until 4:00pm**
Closed weekends & holidays
Please note: The Records Unit will be closed between 8:30 a.m. and 9:30 a.m., on the 4th Wednesday of every month.
Concealed Pistol Licenses are processed by appointment ONLY at the local stations. Please call the following precincts to inquire about the Concealed Pistol License services offered at the location (original, renewal, replacement), and to schedule appointments:
- Burien – (206) 477-2200 – 14905 6th Ave SW, Burien WA 98166
- Maple Valley – (206) 477-6446 – 22300 SE 231st St, Maple Valley WA 98038
- Sammamish – (206) 263-9133 – 801 228th Ave SE, Suite #202, Sammamish WA 98075
- SeaTac – (206) 973-4900 – 4800 S 188th St, SeaTac WA 98188
- Shoreline (Shoreline & Kenmore residents only)– (206) 801-2710 – 1206 N 185th St, Shoreline WA 98133
- Woodinville (Woodinville residents only) – (425) 877-2279 – 17301 133rd Ave NE, Woodinville WA 98072
** License applications that are processed at these locations are not issued at the time of application. If submitting an application for renewal or replacement, your license will be mailed to you within approximately 14 days, unless additional research is required. If your license is due to expire within 14 days, it is recommended that you apply at our downtown location.
** Please note: Cash is NOT accepted at any of these local stations. All checks and money orders must be made payable to King County Sheriff’s Office or K.C.S.O.
Fees may be paid by personal check or money order at all locations; cash is accepted at the Courthouse location ONLY. Please note that we do not accept third party checks, and are unable to process payment by debit or cards (Visa, Mastercard, etc).
Personal check/money order requirements:
- Any check or money order will need to be made payable to King County Sheriff’s Office or K.C.S.O.
- Checks must be preprinted and match the name on the license. If payment is to be applied to more than one license, BOTH/ALL names must be preprinted on the check.
- King County Sheriff’s Office will not accept 3rd party checks.
The Sheriff’s Office is able to process Concealed Pistol License applications for anyone who resides outside the state of Washington. Applicants must appear in person during business hours at the King County Courthouse in downtown Seattle or any of our local locations (by appointment only). The requirements are the same as with Original Concealed Pistol Licenses, and the fee is also $48.00. The waiting period to receive the Concealed Pistol License for non-residents is 60 days, and will be mailed.
Washington has reciprocity for Concealed Pistol Licenses issued by several other states, so long as the handgun is carried in accordance with WA state law. The Washington State Attorney General's web site provides a list of those states that have reciprocity with WA for Concealed Pistol Licenses.
Further information regarding concealed pistol licenses may be obtained at www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms
Links to external sites do not constitute endorsements by King County. By visiting this and other
King County web pages, you expressly agree to be bound by terms and conditions of the site
© 2017 King County
Due to an increased volume of requests for CPLs and other fingerprinting services, you are asked to arrive by 2:00pm at the downtown Seattle courthouse location for any original CPL application and any other fingerprint services. Please arrive by 4:00pm if you need a replacement or renewal CPL. Please note, for fingerprint services (whether for CPL or other reason) wait times may exceed two hours. Thank you for your patience.
Locations and Times
King County Courthouse
516 Third Ave, Rm W-150
Seattle, WA 98104
Phone: (206) 263-2626
Hours: 8:30am - 4:30pm, weekdays **License applications are accepted only until 4:00pm.
Closed weekends and holidays