How to become a candidate
To become a candidate for office, a voter must complete and file a declaration of candidacy. Online filing is May 12-16 or download and return this form (pdf) no later than May 16 at 4:30 p.m.
At the time of filing, voters must:
- possess the qualifications specified by law for the office;
- must be properly registered to vote in the district represented by the office; and
- submit the filing fee or a filing fee petition .
Read the 2014 Candidate Manual (pdf) for details about becoming a candidate for office.
Interested in becoming a precinct committee officer (PCO)? The 2014 PCO Filing Information manual (pdf) contains filing details for PCOs. Online filing is May 12-16 or download and return this form (pdf) no later than May 16 at 4:30 p.m.
Key dates and deadlines for 2014
All important dates and deadlines can be found in the 2014 Candidate Manual (pdf).
- In-person candidate filing: Monday, May 12 at 8:30 a.m. through Friday, May 16 at 4:30 p.m.
- Online candidate filing: Monday, May 12 at 9 a.m. through Friday May 16 at 4 p.m.
- Deadline for candidates to withdraw: Monday, May 19 at 4:30 p.m.
- Local voters’ pamphlet submission period
- For the primary election : Monday, May 12 at 8:30 a.m. through Wednesday, May 28 at 4:30 p.m.
- For the general election: Monday, July 21 at 8:30 a.m. through Friday, August 8 at 4:30 p.m.
Any filings or submissions received after the deadline are invalid.
Offices Subject to Election
The 2014 Offices Subject to Election (pdf) lists which offices are on the ballot this year. In addition, the document lists:
- the current incumbent;
- where to file;
- filing fee information; and
- voters' pamphlet submission information.
Candidate filing questions
For questions about candidate filing, contact Election Operations at email@example.com or 206-296-1565.
Candidate filing archives