How to become a candidate
To become a candidate for office, a voter must complete and file a declaration of candidacy. Online filing is May 11-15 or paper forms must be returned no later than May 15 at 4:30 p.m.
At the time of filing, voters must:
- possess the qualifications specified by law for the office;
- be properly registered to vote in the district represented by the office; and
- submit the filing fee or a filing fee petition .
Read the 2015 Candidate Manual for details about becoming a candidate for office.
Key dates and deadlines for 2015
All important dates and deadlines can be found in the 2015 Candidate Manual .
- In-person candidate filing: Monday, May 11 at 8:30 a.m. through Friday, May 15 at 4:30 p.m.
- Online candidate filing: Monday, May 11 at 9 a.m. through Friday, May 15 at 4 p.m.
- Deadline for candidates to withdraw: Monday, May 18 at 4:30 p.m.
- Local voters’ pamphlet submission period
- For the primary election : Monday, May 11 at 8:30 a.m. through Wednesday, May 20 at 4:30 p.m.
- For the general election: Monday, July 20 at 8:30 a.m. through Friday, August 7 at 4:30 p.m.
Any filings or submissions received after the deadline are invalid.
Offices Subject to Election
The 2015 Offices Subject to Election lists which offices are on the ballot this year. In addition, the document lists:
- the current incumbent;
- where to file;
- filing fee information; and
- voters' pamphlet submission information.
Subscribe to candidate notifications
Subscribe to alerts for candidates, campaign managers and others interested in running for office. Includes notices about campaign filing deadlines, etc.
Candidate filing questions
For questions about candidate filing, contact Election Operations at email@example.com or 206-296-1565.
Candidate filing archives