- violates county, state or federal law or rule, or;
- constitutes an abuse of authority, or;
- constitutes gross mismanagement, or;
- creates a substantial danger to the public health or safety, or;
- results in a gross waste of public funds, or;
- prevents the dissemination of scientific opinion or alters technical findings without scientifically valid justification.
Employees who in good faith report improper governmental action, or who cooperate in a whistleblower investigation, are protected from retaliation.
Where to report varies depending upon the type of improper governmental action. Employees are encouraged to contact the Ombudsman’s Office before filing a whistleblower or retaliation complaint.
Whistleblower guide (PDF)
Whistleblower brochure (PDF)
Download a PDF of the Whistleblower Protection Code Summary
Download a PDF of the Whistleblower Complaint Form
Download a PDF of the Whistleblower Retaliation Complaint Form
Alternate formats for persons with disabilities available upon request.