ECC support team
The King County Emergency Coordination Center (ECC) Support Team is made up of professionals and retirees with diverse experience ( business, education, military, healthcare, etc) who donate their time and expertise to support the ECC during activations, training, and exercises. The Support Team was formed in 1995 as a non-profit,community service organization under Washington State's Emergency Worker Program.
Membership engages in a broad spectrum of activities:
- Work closely with ECC Program and Operation Managers.
- Fill leadership and support roles during ECC activations.
- Participate in ECC projects, programs and activities.
- Support "Communications Room" activities and capabilities.
- Assist in training, curriculum development and instruction.
- Develop recruitment strategies and promote ECC Support Team growth.
- Coordinate the application, review and approval process for volunteers.
- Provide a mentoring program for new ECC Support Team members.
- Maintain membership data and training records.
"The King County ECC Support Team is a highly mobile and motivated team of volunteers with diverse skills and capabilities. It provides timely and quality support services for the Office of Emergency Management."
Application for membership
Membership is open to individuals with an interest in providing vital emergency operations support to the community during a disaster or emergency situation. It requires a commitment to attend training, develop strong team relationships, and adapt to challenging and fast-paced working conditions. Because of the seriousness of the team mission, members should be mature, experienced, and able to respond quickly to unpredictable situations. Members are expected to participate in training and exercises on a regular basis, and to be available to respond to actual disasters and activations when needed, often with little notice.
Steps in the application process:
- Prospective members first complete the ECC Support Team Applicant/Interest Memorandum (Word form). E-mail your completed form to Jason Shirron or send to: King County Office of Emergency Management, 3511 NE 2nd Street, Renton, WA 98056.
- Application for membership is reviewed by the Team membership coordinator(s) and the OEM Program Manager. Upon approval, prospective members then complete the "Emergency Worker Application" which is provided by King County Office of Emergency Management.
- Members must be registered as State Emergency Workers and submit to a criminal history and driving record background check before participation.
- New members may be approved for provisional membership while the above steps are being completed.
ECC Support Team meetings and training
The Team meets monthly for training and exercise sessions and team meetings. The ECC also conducts routine trainings and exercises open to ECC representatives, ECC Support Team, and King County Office of Emergency Management staff. Volunteers go through appropriate training to serve in a capacity in the ECC during emergencies. Team members may also be trained to fill a wide range of roles: Communications Lead (radio operators/call takers/information routers); Planning; Logistics; feeding; and in support of ECC representatives and other officials in the ECC.
ECC Support Team readiness
Team members maintain a high level of personal emergency preparedness and readiness to respond. Participants must first have their families prepared for disaster. Members of the team should be equipped with personal emergency supplies appropriate for emergency response. In responding to a disaster situation, members should be prepared to be self-sufficient for at least 72 hours.
Basic equipment for all team members:
- Current ID Badge
- Team Shirt
- Clothing and footwear appropriate for unexpected conditions
Jason Shirron 206-205-4068