skip to main content

Community Services Division

Department of Community and Human Services

King County Veterans Program-Seattle
2106 Second Avenue, 1st Floor
Seattle, WA 98121 

King County Veterans Program-Renton
500 SW Seventh Street, Suite 100
Renton, WA 98057


Department: Community and Human Services
Adrienne Quinn, Director

Chinook Building
401 Fifth Ave., Suite 510
Seattle, WA 98104

e-mail us
Phone: 206-263-9062
Fax: 206-296-0156
TTY: 711 Relay Service

Employee Directory

Frequently Asked Questions

Please read below to find introductory answers to frequently asked questions about services provided by the King County Veterans Program. If you have additional questions, please consult our Contact Us page.

What is the role of the King County Veterans’ Program?
The King County Veterans' Program works with partners across the region to provide financial, housing, employment, and other supportive services to veterans and their families in King County. The Veterans' Program assists eligible veterans and their families with homeless prevention, employment readiness, and living stability by offering a wide variety of services.
Who do you serve?
The King County Veterans' Program provides services to eligible applicants who are veterans, current service members, National Guard members, Reserve members, and the families of these military personnel. For more detailed information about eligibility requirements, please see the Who We Serve page.
How can I get my DD214 or Statement of Service?
A copy of your Statement of Service and Disability Award Letter is available from the Veterans Administration Regional Office (VARO) located at the Henry Jackson Federal Building in downtown Seattle (915 Second Avenue, First Floor). Valid picture identification or an escort will be required to be able to enter the building. You may also request a copy of your DD214 online at:
How much financial assistance will I qualify for?
Financial assistance is based on the client’s current income and calculated upon review of necessary personal financial documents. Financial assistance is primarily provided for short-term assistance with housing, utility, employment, or training support. No cash payments are allowed.
How quickly can I get financial assistance?
Utility shut-off and eviction notices will be reviewed on a walk-in basis and other services will require an appointment. Financial assistance will depend on the client's ability to provide all necessary income information and supporting documentation. Determination for assistance is based on your current financial circumstances and financial updates will be required every 180 days.
What about housing or shelter assistance?
On a first-come, first-served basis, temporary beds are available to homeless male veterans who are clean and sober and agree to case management services. Beds are located at the Salvation Army William Booth Center and at the Compass Center Men's Transitional Program. Length of stay is based on the client's progress and compliance with case management strategies and shelter living expectations.
What employment services are available?
Employment services include voice-mail accounts, resume assistance, job counseling, and job placement. Assistance developing an employment plan is based on individual need. The Renton office of the King County Veterans' Program (located at 500 S.W. Seventh Street, Suite 100) specializes in providing a variety of employment services to veterans seeking long-term gainful employment. Partnering with WorkSource Renton and the Washington State Employment Security Department, the Veterans' Program provides computer skills instruction and assistance with other useful "hands on" techniques.
How can I qualify for assistance from Washington State?
The King County Veterans' Program works very closely with the Washington State Department of Veterans Affairs (WDVA) and can refer you to a variety of services available there. The Veterans' Program also contracts with the WDVA to provide services to veterans in King County, including housing, counseling, employment services, and reintegration services.
What is the Veterans and Human Services Levy?
The Veterans and Human Services Levy was passed by the voters of King County in November 2005 to generate funding to help veterans, military personnel and their families and other individuals and families in need across the county through a variety of housing and supportive services.  One-half of these revenues are targeted for veterans and their families, and the remaining half is dedicated to other King County residents in need of human services. The levy will remain in effect until 2011. To learn more, please visit the Veterans and Human Services Levy Web site.
What death/survivor benefits are available?
The King County Veterans’ Program provides burial assistance to veterans, family members, or friends of veterans who have or will incur costs related to the burial or cremation of any deceased indigent veteran or the family member of any veteran who lacks the resources to cover burial expenses. The total amount of assistance may not exceed $500. Proper documentation is required and certain rules apply. Please contact the Veterans’ Program to learn more about eligibility for burial assistance.