The King County Council began its budget process this week. This overview provides key dates and other information.
The King County Council has begun the process of reviewing the executive proposed 2021-2022 biennial King County budget. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the process will differ from years past. Below is a summary of that process, including key dates and participants. Leading the process will be Councilmember Jeanne Kohl-Welles as Chair of the Budget and Fiscal Management Committee.
We will send out weekly advisories on Friday for upcoming budget-related meetings. Updates and budget documents will be posted at https://www.kingcounty.gov/council/budget.aspx.
The budget deliberations will include committee meetings and roundtable discussions focused on different aspects of the budget. Below is an outline of the schedule for that process:
- This Week: Budget and Fiscal Management Committee (BFM) briefing from the separately elected officials to present their proposed budgets to Council. 9:30 a.m. – noon (est) Wednesday, Sept. 30
- Week 1 (Oct. 5-9): Budget & Fiscal Management Committee initial briefings. Meetings set for 9:30 a.m. to noon Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
- Week 2 (Oct. 12-16): Roundtable meetings to conduct in-depth briefings of budgets aligned to a specific policy area. Each roundtable will be co-chaired by two councilmembers. Meetings daily from 9:30 a.m. to noon Tuesday through Friday.
- Week 3 (Oct. 19-23): Budget & Fiscal Management Committee final briefings on budgets that still need deliberation. Meetings 9:30 a.m. to noon on Tuesday and Wednesday, and one evening meeting for public comment (see details in next section)
- Week 4 (Oct. 26-30): BFM briefings on Executive proposed ordinances to support proposed budget. Meetings 9:30 a.m. to noon on Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Week 5 (Nov. 2-6): Deadlines for budget striking amendment and amendments to the striking amendment.
- Week 6 (Nov. 9-13): BFM meeting on Tuesday (9:30 a.m., Nov. 10) to take action on Executive proposed legislation related to the budget. BFM meeting on Thursday (9:30 a.m., Nov. 12) to take action on the biennial budget ordinance including striking amendment and any amendments therein. A backup BFM meeting is designated for Nov. 13 in case an additional meeting is necessary.
- Week 7 (Nov. 16-20): Special council meeting at 1 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 17 to take final action on the 2021-22 biennial budget. A backup special council meeting is designated for Nov. 24 in case an additional meeting is necessary.
Here are the planned meetings that will include time for public comment:
- Sept. 30 (Wed) – Budget and Fiscal Management Committee (BFM): 9:30 a.m. – 12 p.m. (est.). Public Comment period will be conducted after a briefing from the separately elected officials to present their proposed budgets to Council.
- Oct. 21 (Wed) – BFM 6 p.m. – 8 p.m. (est.)
- Nov. 12 (Thurs) – BFM: 9:30 a.m. – 12 p.m. (est.)
- Nov. 17 (Tues) – Special Full Council: 1 p.m. – 3 p.m. (est.)