Annual Legislative Forum
Developmental Disabilities and Early Childhood Supports Division
A Virtual Community Conversation
The King County Developmental Disabilities Legislative Forum is presented annually, the Monday before Thanksgiving. If you were unable to join us, please enjoy the live video recording of our event which was presented on Monday, November 23, 2020.
Recapping the Numbers
- An estimated 456 community members viewed the forum
- 30 state legislators and 4 county councilmembers attended
2 state legislator, and 3 members of congress were represented by staff
Developmental Disabilities Legislative Priorities for 2021
King County has two developmental disabilities legislative priorities for 2021; each priority has two recommended actions for legislators.
1. Preserve and Protect the Safety Net for Individuals with Disabilities Across Their Lifespan.
- Maintain current eligibility criteria for state Developmental Disabilities Administration (DDA) paid services to ensure people with I/DD continue to access Medicaid State Plan and Waiver services including employment, community inclusion, respite, personal care, and residential services.
- Maintain interpreter services provided by the State Health Care Authority (HCA), including video interpretation services to ensure effective delivery of essential services.
2. Invest in Employment and Housing for People with Disabilities to Support Economic Recovery
- Protect employment funding and ensure all State DDA eligible students leaving high school in 2021-2023 are added to the Basic Plus Waiver in order to receive employment and other needed services.
- Increase the supply of affordable housing, including housing for individuals with I/DD and their families, through investments that include $250 million for the Housing Trust Fund.
Download the Developmental Disabilities Legislative Priorities for 2021
- English: Learn More!
- Arabic: تعرّف على المزيد!
- Chinese (Simplified): 了解更多！
- Chinese (Traditional):了解更多！
- Korean: 자세히 알아보세요!
- Somali: Wax badan ka baro!
- Spanish: ¡Más información!
- Vietnamese: Tìm hiểu thêm thông tin!