Eligibility for King County Behavioral Health Services
Who We Serve
Find a provider near you
Or call our client services line at:
To qualify for King County Behavioral Health Services you must meet both financial and medical necessity criteria.
You meet financial criteria if:
- you have a Medicaid funded coupon and are assigned to an Apple Health Plan through the Washington State Healthcare Authority; OR
- you have an income that is 220-percent of the federal poverty guidelines for adults and 300-percent for children and families.
You meet medical necessity criteria if:
- You are over the age of 18 and you have a mental, behavioral, or emotional disorder resulting in serious impairment, which substantially interferes with or limits one or more major life activities; OR
- You are a child under the age of 18 with a mental health problem that severely disrupts your ability to function socially, academically, and emotionally.
- The provider will also determine the level of service intensity needed at the time of service entry.
If you are not sure if you qualify, contact any of our behavioral health providers or your assigned behavioral health provider.
Substance use treatment eligibility in King County: The County continues to utilize the federal guidelines of the American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM) as criteria for delivering the appropriate level of substance use services.
What if I don't qualify?
- Even if you do not qualify for King County mental health services, you can find out about other low costs providers.