Groups, organizations, or individuals can arrange to tour the Solid Waste Division's facilities. Tours must be scheduled in advance and are dependent upon the availability of guides.
Group tours of 10 or more are held Monday through Friday, between the hours of 9:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. Tours for individuals or groups of nine or less are held on the third Tuesday or Thursday of each month. Tours on other days or at other times are considered by special request.
Request a landfill or transfer station tour online or contact the Solid Waste Division at 206-477-4466, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. When requesting a tour either online or by phone please include good contact information.
Groups can tour the Cedar Hills Regional Landfill in one of the Solid Waste Division's vehicles. Tours include an overview of the operations on site, some garbage statistics, and a ride around including the active landfill area, the North Flare Station, and the leachate ponds.
Tour information and requirements:
- Tours are free and can be scheduled up to three months in advance.
- The Solid Waste Division’s van can accommodate ten people, including the tour guide. Larger groups must provide their own van or bus.
- Participants must be at least five years old.
- Please arrive on time.
- Upon arrival, contact your tour guide by cell phone or come into the main office to place the call.
- Adult-only tours may get out of the vehicle during the tour. Tour groups with children are not allowed out of the vehicle unless instructed by the tour guide.
- Picture taking is encouraged.
- No lunch facilities or picnic areas are available.
Transfer station tours
Requests to tour the King County transfer stations must be approved by a transfer station supervisor. Specific group size restrictions may exist for transfer station tours, depending on the facility and staffing requirements. Contact the Solid Waste Division at 206-477-4466 for more information, or submit your request online.