Technical assistance for site assessment & cleanup
King County Brownfields program no longer in operation
The King County Brownfields Program in no longer in operation. Other brownfields resources may be found at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency external link , the Washington State Department of Ecology external link and the Washington State Department of Commerce external link .
In the past, King County provided several types of free technical assistance, including:
- King County contracted with the Environmental Coalition of South Seattle (ECOSS) external link to:
- research past and present site uses,
- review existing environmental reports,
- advise on regulatory requirements,
- make referrals to qualified consultants,
- review cleanup plans.
- King County contracted with CDM Smith and Hart Crowser, Inc., environmental consulting firms, to conduct Phase I and Phase II Environmental Site Assessments. The firms also prepared preliminary cost estimates for cleanup once the assessments were complete.
- King County also requested that the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Brownfields Program external link conduct assessments on eligible sites under their Targeted Brownfields Assessment (TBA) Program external link . The TBA Program also prepared preliminary cost estimates for cleanup.
Nonprofit organizations and municipalities were eligible for this assistance. Private individuals and businesses may have be eligible if the end use of the site would have resulted in a public benefit.