Select the icons to get remodeling tips for each area of the room.
- Make sure crawl space accesses are closed and tight-fitting so rodents cannot enter.
- Cover exposed soil in the crawl space with 6mm black poly groundcover.
- Check the floor insulation. There should be no gap between the floor and the top of the insulation.
- Rolls of eco-friendly batt insulation should be installed to fit the floor joist, wall stud or ceiling joist cavity, with no gaps.
- From the crawl space, check under the toilet and bath tub for large holes in the floor around plumbing and seal.
- Check ductwork/distribution system for proper insulation and sealing.
- Check to make sure all vents in crawl spaces are secure. Any gaps greater than 1/2" should be sealed.
- Insulate conditioned basement walls with rigid foam board. An interior application is usually easiest, but it is possible to dig a trench around the house and install it on the exterior.
- In conditioned basements, insulate the rim joists with rigid foam and seal the perimeter of the foam board with one-part spray foam.
- For homes built on slabs, install rigid board insulation installed around the perimeter of the slab.
- Insulate corners with two studs instead of three to allow more space for insulation.