Sustaining Green School
This program level is for schools that have been recognized as Level One, Two, and Three King County Green Schools.
Congratulations on completing Levels One, Two and Three of the King County Green Schools Program. Your efforts have engaged students and staff in environmental stewardship, conserved natural resources, and reduced costs.
The main focus of a Sustaining Green School is to continue to involve your whole school in maintaining its Level One (waste reduction and recycling), Level Two (energy conservation), and Level Three (water conservation) practices.
To be recognized as a Sustaining Green School, schools also select and complete an additional practice or educational strategy from any of the Best Practices Guides listed in the Sustaining Green School Guide. Schools will be recognized after they complete all requirements in the Sustaining Green School Practices Guide.
Best practices guide
For assistance, please contact King County Green Schools Program manager Dale Alekel at 206-477-5267.
Sustain and expand your green school practices!
Tips for continued success as a King County Green School:
- Educate and remind! To educate new students and staff and to remind those returning to the school, make weekly announcements (over the PA system and in the cafeteria) about what materials can and can’t be recycled. Also make announcements about your school’s waste reduction, energy conservation, and water conservation practices throughout the school year -- especially at the beginning of the school year, in early January and in early spring.
- Set regular Green Team meetings: Schedule meeting dates for your Green Team or other student group(s) who will work on conservation education and actions. Each year, recruit new student and staff members. Take advantage of King County’s Green Team program that provides free workshops and recognition for student Green Teams in Elementary schools and Secondary schools.
- Receive free education programs: Visit the King County Education and Schools Assistance webpage for information on assemblies, classroom workshops, teacher trainings, recognition, and resources.
Share your successes!
- Celebrate: Promote your success story by making announcements at your school, placing your highest level Green Schools' logo on your website, and including an article in a PTSA newsletter with a link to your school’s success story.
- Showcase your banner: Display your Green Schools banner with its highest level Green Schools’ sticker or ribbon.
- Recognize: Congratulate outstanding “green” students and staff. You may print certificates by using the templates on our website. Nominate your school, your school’s conservation program, a student or student group, a teacher or other staff member for a King County Earth Hero at School award. Check the Earth Heroes website in January for the nomination form, instructions, and nomination due date, which is typically in February.
- Mentor another school(s) in your district: The King County Green Schools Program can connect you with staff at other schools in your district who would like to be mentored by another school.
- Hold a “Green Schools” or “Green Team” summit with other schools in your district: Organize a gathering of staff – or of students and staff – from schools in your district who would like to share their successes and learn from others.