Carpet recycling resources
The following is a list of information resources about carpet recycling.
(not necessarily affiliated with or endorsed by King County)
- Carpet America Recovery Effort (CARE) external link – a joint industry-government effort to increase the amount of recycling and reuse of post-consumer carpet and reduce the amount of waste carpet going to landfills.
- CalRecycle - Carpet external link – information on carpet recycling in California, including its carpet stewardship program.
Reports, studies and memos
- Carpet Strategy Project – Carpet Recycling Survey ReportDownload PDF 509 K – Survey of carpet processors, recyclers and haulers in the Pacific Northwest that are currently or planning to participate in the carpet recycling industry, completed May 2011.
- Environmental Impacts from Carpet Discards Management Methods: Preliminary ResultsDownload PDF 79 K, October 2008 – Dr. Jeffrey Morris, Sound Resources Management.
- CARE 2010 Annual Report external link
Articles and webinars
- What’s Happening with Carpet Recycling webinar recording (YouTube), November 2013
- Carpet Recycling Successes Stack UpDownload PDF 467 K, – Resource Recycling, April 2012
- Rolling Out the Green CarpetDownload PDF 777 K, – Resource Recycling, August 2010
- Washington Agencies Target Carpet Recycling external link – Recycling Today, June 2010
- Recycle Used Carpet – Don’t Toss it in the LandfillDownload PDF 544 K, Rental Housing Association newsletter, July 2009.
- In the Loop: The NW Carpet Recycling Value Chain – June 21, 2012 WSRA event
- Carpet Recycling Value Chain with companies listedDownload PDF 293 K
- NW Carpet Recycling CompaniesDownload PDF 21 K
- Carpet recovery and recycling service providers for business customers in central Puget Sound – results for carpet recycling on King County Solid Waste Division’s What Do I Do With…? website.
- Recycled-Content Product/Materials for Construction ProjectsDownload PDF 608 K is a description of several products and materials that are made from recycled carpet.
- Environmentally Preferable Carpet information – King County Environmental Purchasing Program.
- U.S. Communities Carpet & Flooring Contract external link – can be used by public agencies, schools and non-profits to require carpet reclamation and/or purchase recycled-content carpet
- Washington State Flooring Contract external link – can be used by public agencies in Washington to purchase recycled-content carpet.
- Carpet Strategy Project – Workplan SummaryDownload PDF 264 K, 2011
- Carpet Strategy Project – Northwest Carpet Recycling StrategyDownload PDF 409 K, 2010
- Carpet Strategy Project – Public Purchasing Meeting presentationsDownload PDF 2.5 MB, 2009
- Carpet Strategy Project – Business Roundtable #1 meeting notes (removal, collection and sorting)Download PDF 126 K, 2009
- Carpet Strategy Project – Business Roundtable #2 meeting notes (processing and end markets)Download PDF 62 K, 2009
- Carpet Strategy Project – Carpet Recycling Workgroup, member survey resultsDownload PDF 163 K) and recommended tacticsDownload PDF 116 K, 2009
- Carpet Strategy Project – Northwest Project OverviewDownload PDF 270 K (handout from first Carpet Recycling Workgroup meeting, 2009)