Running for office
To become a candidate, you must complete and file a Declaration of Candidacy, meet the qualifications for the office at the time of filing, and be registered to vote in the district. Read the Candidate Manual for more information.
Special candidate filing period August 4 - 6
We will be holding a special candidate filing period for the following offices:
- Skykomish School District No. 404, Director Position No. 4
- Tukwila School District No. 406, Director District No. 1
- King County Fire Protection District No. 24, Commissioner Position No. 1
- King County Fire Protection District No. 24, Commissioner Position No. 2
- King County Fire Protection District No. 24, Commissioner Position No. 3
- King County Fire Protection District No. 31, Commissioner Position No. 2
- King County Fire Protection District No. 31, Commissioner Position No. 3
- King County Water District No. 1, Commissioner Position No. 3
- Vashon Sewer District, Commissioner Position No. 3
All candidates will appear on the November 2 General Election ballot. The special filing period will begin on Wednesday, August 4, at 8:30 a.m. and will end at 4:30 p.m. on Friday, August 6, 2021. There are no filing fees for these positions.
Public Health Notice
As part of the continued effort to stop the spread of CoVID-19 in our community, King County Elections strongly recommends filing online. Those who do come in person will be required to wear a face covering that covers their nose and mouth. If you have any questions or need assistance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at 206-296-VOTE (8683).
- Candidate Manual
- PCO Manual
- Offices Subject to Election
- Campaign contribution limits for King County offices
- Political sign regulations (King County)
- Political sign regulations (WSDOT)
- Public Disclosure Commission requirements
- Seattle candidate information:
- Online candidate filing
- Online PCO filing
- Online voters’ pamphlet filing
- Campaign contact information update form
- Declaration of Candidacy
- Declaration of Write-In Candidacy
- PCO Declaration of Candidacy
- Filing fee petition
- Withdrawal of Candidacy
Subscribe to candidate notifications
Subscribe to alerts for candidates, campaign managers, and others interested in running for office. Includes notices about campaign filing, deadlines, etc.
These videos will review how to file for office, how to submit your voters' pamphlet information, and more!
- How to file as a candidate (11 min.)
- How to file online (9 min.)
- How to submit your voters' pamphlet info (9 min.)
- How to file online for Precinct Committee Office (8 min.)
- Recording of an online candidate workshop (75 min.) Reviews how to file for office in King County, how to submit your local voters’ pamphlet information, voter lists and data management, campaign sign regulations, and basic public disclosure information. This session also included topics specific to anyone interested in running for office in the City of Seattle.