Board Member Orientation Materials
WELCOME:Congratulations on your appointment to a King County board or commission.
On this page you will find useful information for new board members. Currently appointed board members can also visit this page to find required training material or to view orientation material.
Before you look at anything else, new board members are required to do the following:
- Print the KC B&C Code of Conduct Form (link on the upper right hand corner of this page). Review, sign and return the completed form.
- Review the King County Board of Ethics Summary;
- Take the Open Public Meetings Act Training; and
- Take the Public Records Act Training
Click on the highlighted hyperlink below to review the King County Public Records Act (PRA) PowerPoint:
King County Public Records Act (PRA) PowerPoint Display
Click on the highlighted hyperlink below to view the Washington State Attorney General's Open Public Meetings Act (OPMA) training video. Scroll down about 3/4 of the page and you will find "Lesson 3: Open Public Meetings Act" video. The video is about 20 minutes long.
After reviewing the required material, please print and complete the King County Certification Form (located on the right-side of this page). On this form you can check off which training(s) you have completed. Return the completed form to the address on the form. We also accept scanned copies of the signed form which can be emailed to: Rick.Ybarra@kingcounty.gov
Please take some time to review the orientation material listed on the right side of this page. The staff liaison for your board or commission may also provide you with additional orientation material specific to your board or commission.
Please contact Rick Ybarra, Liaison for Boards and Commissions, at 206-263-9651 if you have any questions.
List of Orientation Documents:
Required Forms, Training, and Certification forms:
- King County Ethics Program 2021 Financial Disclosure Form for Board Members (PDF)
- A Summary of King County Code of Ethics (PDF, 588KB)
- KC Training Certification Form (123KB)
- KC B&C Code of Conduct Form
- How to Access Your King County Email Account (PDF, 225 KB)
- Email Use Guidelines (46KB)
- How to Find Other Board Member Email Addresses (927KB)
- Board Member Job Description (63KB)
- Being An Effective Board Member (17KB)
- Parliamentary Procedures for Board Members
- Disability 101 (PDF, 38KB)
King County Email Account Instructions: