For Board Members Only
WELCOME:Congratulations on your appointment to a King County board or commission.
On this page you will find useful information for new board members. Currently appointed board members can also visit this page to find required training material or to view orientation material.
Before you look at any other documents new board members are required to do the following:
- Review the King County Board of Ethics Summary;
- Take the Open Public Meetings Act Training; and
- Take the Public Records Act Training
Click on the highlighted hyperlink to review the King County Public Records Act (PRA) PowerPoint slides:
King County Public Records Act (PRA) PowerPoint Display
Click on the highlighted hyperlink below to view the Washington State Attorney General's Open Public Meetings Act (OPMA) training video. Scroll down about 3/4 of the page and you will find "Lesson 3: Open Public Meetings Act" video.
After reviewing the required material, please print and complete the King County Certification Form (located on the right-side of this page). On this form you can check off which training(s) you have completed. Return the completed form to the address on the form. We also accept scanned copies of the signed form which can be emailed to: Rick.Ybarra@kingcounty.gov
The King County Executive is required (per Council action) to provide all appointed board or commission members with a King County email account for the purpose of conducting official board business ("Independent" boards and commissions are exempt from this requirement). Regular use of your King County email account for corresponding with board members or King County staff will ensure that we are capturing every record in compliance with record retention laws and the Public Records Act. After you have been issued a King County email account, review the step-by-step instructions on the right side of this screen for help signing in to your King County email account.
Please take some time to review the orientation material listed on the right side of this page. The staff liaison for your board or commission may also provide you with additional orientation material specific to your board or commission.
Please contact Rick Ybarra, Liaison for Boards and Commissions, at 206-263-9651 if you have any questions.
List of Orientation Documents:
Required Forms, Training, and Certification forms:
- King County Ethics Program 2018 Financial Disclosure Form (PDF, 72KB)
- A Summary of King County Code of Ethics (PDF, 588KB)
- KC Training Certification Form (123KB)
- How to Access Your King County Email Account (669KB)
- Email Use Guidelines (46KB)
- How to Find Other Board Member Email Addresses (927KB)
- Board Member Job Description (63KB)
- Being An Effective Board Member (17KB)
- Code of Cooperation (131KB)
- Parliamentary Procedure for Meetings (100KB)
- Disability 101 (PDF, 38KB)
King County Email Account Instructions: