Outcome: Improve air quality
About this indicator
This indicator tracks the consumption of energy from gasoline, diesel fuel, natural gas, and electricity in King County. It does not include renewable energy sources, nuclear-powered sources or usage of other fossil fuels including aviation/jet fuel or coal in energy production. Due to these exclusions, energy consumption at the county level is not strictly comparable to state and national totals where such measurement is made.
- Percent decline in total annual gasoline consumption from 2000-2009: 1.8% decline
- Percent decline in per capita gasoline consumption from 2000-2009: 11.1% decline
- Percent decline in per capita energy consumption from 2000-2009: 9.0% decline
Graphs and tables
- Graph: Total energy consumption by type in King County (1999-2009)
- Table: Total energy consumption by type in King County in trillion BTU (1999-2009)
- Graph: Per capita energy consumption by type in King County (1999-2009)
- Table: Per capita energy consumption by type in King County in million BTU (1999-2009)
Last updated May 2010
Electricity consumption data provided by Puget Sound Energy (PSE) and Seattle City Light. Natural gas consumption data provided by PSE. Gasoline and diesel consumption data provided by Washington State Department of Transportation (DOT) and is based on annual Washington State Office of Financial Management (OFM) population estimates for King County. Population estimates for per capita figures were derived from population tables, accessed from Washington State Office of Financial Management.