2020 Comprehensive Plan Update - Adopted
On July 24, 2020, the King County Council adopted the 2020 Comprehensive Plan update via Ordinance 19146 . The effective date of the 2020 Plan is August 20, 2020. Highlights of the ordinance are summarized on the History and Archive page. The Plan and collateral files are shown below.
Note: Due to the large file sizes, some browsers may require you to download the PDF files provided in the links below in order to view them properly. You may do so by right-clicking on a link below and selecting "save target as" to save the files to your computer for viewing.
- COMPLETE Searchable Comprehensive Plan | (2020 Attachment A)
- Amendments to Land Use and Zoning Maps (2020 Attachment D)
- Technical Appendix A - Capital Facilities 2016
- Technical Appendix B - Housing 2016
- Technical Appendix C - Transportation (2020 Attachment B)
- Technical Appendix C1 – Transportation Needs Report Document and Maps (2020 Attachment C)
- Technical Appendix C2 – Regional Trails Needs Report 2016
- Technical Appendix D – Growth Targets 2016
- Technical Appendix S – Public Participation Summary for Update (2020 Attachment I)
- Amendments to Shorelines of the State Map (2020 Attachment E)
- Skyway-West Hill Land Use Strategy (2020 Attachment F)
- Appendices to the Skyway-West Hill Land Use Strategy (2020 Attachment G)
- Shoreline Jurisdiction Streams and Lakes Segments (2020 Attachment H)
- Pacific Raceways 2012 Map Amendment Repeal (2020 Attachment J)
Environmental Review Documents
- Threshold Determination of Significance & Adoption of Existing Environmental Documents – June 6, 2020
- Addendum to Existing Environmental Documents – June 6, 2020
- Updated Addendum – July 6, 2020
Draft Plan Documents
- Major Update Process Overview
- King County demographics and Buildable Lands Report
- Zoning (Title 21A)
The following "News" items were posted as part of the 2020 Plan Update Process. Given the age of these postings, some of these links may no longer be available.
July 24, 2020: The King County Council adopted the 2020 Comprehensive Plan update. View the updated files here.
July 6, 2020: The Executive has released an updated State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA) Addendum for the 2020 update to the Comprehensive Plan.
May 2020: As part of the 2020 Update process, the State Environmental Policy Act review documents are now available. Click here.
February 2020: WA Ecology approves King County Shoreline Master Program Update.
September 30, 2019: The Executive Recommended Plan has been transmitted to the County Council. The transmittal culminates about 11 months of work by executive department staff on a variety of policy issues, including sea level rise, fossil fuel facilities, affordable housing, and land use and zoning topics. Click here to read the 2020 updates to the 2016 Comprehensive Plan.
July 12, 2019: King County is hosting five community meetings in July to discuss the draft 2020 Comprehensive Plan update. In addition to the documents on the 2020 Public Review Draft page (see link in sidebar), below is additional summary information:
- Slidedeck from community meetings
- FAQ for draft Fossil Fuel Facilities regulations
- Sea Level Rise FAQ (PDF)
July 1, 2019: After four months of intensive work, the Public Review Draft of proposed amendments to the Comprehensive Plan and associated development code is now available. Release of the Public Review Draft represents an important step in the update process. The draft includes proposed changes to text, policies, code, and land use and zoning. There are associated Code Studies, Area Studies, and Reports related to the Scope of Work Topical Areas. As noted below, there are five community meetings scheduled and public comment will be accepted until July 31, 2019.
June 2019: King County departments have been hard at work analyzing the issues in the Scope of Work Motion 15329. The 2020 Public Review Draft of potential amendments to the Comprehensive Plan and associated Development Regulations in the King County Code will be released on July 1, 2019. The following flyer summarizes the list of issues being considered.
Following release, King County is hosting five community meetings during the 30-day public comment period in July. At the meetings, you can learn more about the potential changes and have a chance to talk to staff about what they may mean for your area.
Special Topic Meeting - Vashon Sea Level Rise
Vashon / Maury Island Area
Comprehensive Plan Meetings:
||Vashon / Maury Island Area
Thursday, July 18
6:00 to 8:00 pm
Vashon High School
9600 SW 204th Street,
Vashon, WA 98070
Skyway - West Hill Area
|North Highline Area
Thursday, July 25
6:00 to 8:00 pm
Seola Gardens Community Room
11215 5th Avenue Southwest
Seattle, WA 98146
|Four Creeks / Maple Valley /
Southeast King Areas
Tuesday, July 16
6:00 to 8:00 pm
Maple Valley Library
21844 SE 248th Street
Maple Valley, WA 98038
The Public Comment Period will continue until July 31, 2019. After this, departments will finalize the "Executive Recommended Draft" and transmit to the County Council by September 30, 2019.
February 26, 2019: The County Council adopted the Scoping Motion for the 2020 Midpoint Update to the Comprehensive Plan. Click here to see the items to be considered in the update process, subject to the dates noted in the October 29, 2018 news posting below.