Design and Civic Engagement
Providing communications tools, products, and services
KCIT's award-winning Design and Civic Engagement team provides expertise and technical assistance to departments across King County. It's our job to help customers deliver efficient and compelling digital services for residents, businesses and visitors.
Enterprise level services:
- KingCounty.gov web development and maintenance
- Web standards and governance
- Administration of cloud services (analytics, archiving, reporting)
- Social media strategy
- Email subscriber lists and e-newsletters
- Open data strategy and support
- Peak Democracy public engagement tool
Agency level services:
- Agency-specific web design and development
- Visual communication design and production
- Spatial data (GIS) analysis and visualization
- Integrated and interactive maps and applications
- Text messaging
- Mobile application interface design
Our creative and innovative team enables King County departments to meet the public's evolving needs through emerging technologies. Visit our help site and request a new project.
Here are a few examples of our Design and Civic Engagement work:
- We've laid out the vision and standards for King County's award-winning website.
- Web governance is committed to creating a consistent user experience that's accessible and mobile friendly.
- Key services include page templates, tools, and design patterns to help meet your communications goals.
Digital media and civic engagement
- Strategic direction for integrating digital media into existing communications and public outreach plans.
- Training, consulting, and support for social media, email lists, text messages, and online civic engagement.
- Sophisticated analytics and reporting helps your team leverage public feedback on important issues.
- Integrated and interactive maps and applications make GIS data available for public outreach at King County departments.
- Live spatial data collection done in the field using iPads and iPhones automates the custom GIS analytics process.
- We are stewards of 40+ datasets that maintain GIS layers shared by King County and the public.
- 700+ design projects each year, from brochures and infographics to maps, posters, signs, illustrations, and more.
- Projects are fully customized in various formats to serve unique target audiences.
- Clear, professional communication—we help departments interpret and display complex messaging into quick, easy-to-grasp concepts.
- Modern look and feel employs user-centered design, earning Best of the Web awards in 2014 and 2015.
- Responsive pages look good on any device. In 2011, 5% of our website visits were on mobile—now its 30%.
- New website templates meet federal standards for readability, with even more enhancements to come.
- Data supports countywide performance measurement and reporting.
- View, download, or access a wealth of King County resources via application-programmer interface (API).
- Build custom transit maps and get the latest election results using datasets from King County Metro Transit and King County Elections.