Unexpected fatality reports
Find reports on in-custody deaths at King County jails.
In 2021, the Washington State Legislature passed a new law that requires Washington State prisons, as well as all city and county jails, to review unexpected in-custody deaths and to publish a report on the findings within 120 days of the death. (RCW 70.48.510). The primary purpose of the reviews and accompanying report is to review practices and policies to prevent future fatalities and to strengthen safety and health protections for people in custody. Prisons and jails are required to provide Washington's Department of Health and the Legislature with a copy of the report. DAJD and its partners at Jail Health Services strive to provide safe, secure and appropriate health and behavioral health services for each person in our care.
Below you will find reports on unexpected in-custody fatalities at King County-run jails by year. These reports contain references to suicide, overdose, and self-harm. If you feel you might attempt suicide, or seriously harm yourself, are at risk of overdose, or need urgent medical help, please contact:
- King County 24-Hour Crisis Line – 800-621-4636
- King County 2-1-1 – Dial 211 or 800-621-4636 (TTY – 206-461-3219)
- Teen Link – 866-833-6546
- Washington Recovery Help Line – 866-789-1511
- WA Warm Line – 877-500-9276
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline – 800-273-TALK (8255)
- Crisis Text Line – Text HEAL to 741741
- Native Crisis Text Line (We R Native) – Text NATIVE to 741741
- Veterans Crisis Line – 800-273-8255 and Press 1 or Text 838255
- Trans Lifeline – 877-565-8860
- Trevor Project – 866-488-7386 or text “START” to 678678
A 48-year-old person in custody passed away at the King County Correctional Facility in Seattle on October 17, 2021.
Link to report No. 21-00429
A 34-year-old man passed away at the King County Correctional Facility in Seattle on Feb. 4, 2022.
A 47-year-old man passed away at the King County Correctional Facility in Seattle on Feb. 20, 2022.
A 25-year-old passed away at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle on March 15, 2022 after being transferred from the King County Correctional Facility.
A 53-year-old person in custody passed away at the King County Correctional Facility in Seattle on March 27, 2022.
Link to report No. 22-00546
A 63-year-old man passed away at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle on April 19, 2022 after being transported from the booking area of the King County Correctional Facility.
Link to report No. 22-00730.