Skip to main content
King County logo

Permitting services are available online via this website and For details, see our Customer Service Bulletin.

This page has information about fire-safety or air quality burn bans, firework regulations, burning yard waste, and helpful safety tips.

Please note:

The King County Fire Marshal does NOT issue outdoor burning permits for King County residents. Outdoor burning in King County requires a burn permit from your local fire district.

Air quality burning is monitored and regulated by the Puget Sound Clean Air Agency. Current air quality burn ban status can be found on their website.

On this page:

Fireworks Types of burn bans


King County fireworks regulations apply to unincorporated areas outside the jurisdiction of local cities.

The King County Fire Marshal strongly advises against using fireworks this year (see the July 1, 2021 news release). For those who do, it’s especially urgent to be vigilant and practice fireworks safety. Find information below and in this fireworks safety video.

Fireworks rules and safety tips
  • Use only approved, legal fireworks from reliable Washington State and King County Fire Marshal licensed retailers.
  • You must be at least 16-years-old with picture identification to purchase fireworks.
  • Always have a responsible adult light all fireworks.
  • Have a charged garden hose or a fire extinguisher handy.
  • Use fireworks under outdoor conditions only, away from buildings, houses with wood shingles, trees, and dry fields.
  • Avoid aerial fireworks.
  • Light one item at a time, move away quickly, and keep a safe distance.
  • Dispose of used fireworks by first soaking them in water.
  • Ensure the safety of pets. Use eye protection. Clean up all debris.
  • If a device does not light or fire, an adult should wait a minimum of five minutes before approaching the device.
  • If it has a stick or fins and it goes up, or if it blows up, it is illegal in Washington State.
  • Rather than buy fireworks, consider attending a public fireworks display.
Fourth of July
  • Fireworks may be discharged only on July 4 from 9 a.m. to midnight.
  • Fireworks sales: legally start noon June 28 until 11 p.m.; then, daily 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. through July 4.
  • No sales after July 4.

Types of Burn Bans

Fire safety outdoor burn bans

Fire safety burn bans are issued by King County Fire Marshal due to fire danger during dry weather conditions and there is low moisture in trees and vegetation.

  • Outdoor burning in all of King County is affected
  • Issued in cooperation with other county and state agencies
  • Local fire districts and local fire departments issue burning permits when burn bans are not in effect. Use non emergency phone numbers to contact your local fire districts.
Air quality burn ban

Air quality burn bans are issued by Puget Sound Clean Air Agency (PSCAA) to tell people about possible health impacts arising from increased air pollution

  • People with health conditions, such as asthma and heart disease, are especially susceptible to harm
  • People may need to restrict their outdoor activities
  • PSCAA's jurisdiction includes King, Snohomish, Pierce, and Kitsap counties
  • Stage 1 - lowest
    Stage 2 - highest pollution level - health risk - typically issued during colder, winter months.
Tools and Resources
Gas and propane stoves and barbecues are allowed under burn bans.

Department of Local Services, Permitting Division
35030 SE Douglas Street, Suite 210
Snoqualmie, WA  98065-9266

Our staff members are working remotely. Permitting services are available on this website and For details, see our Customer Service Bulletin.

In-person customer service is by appointment only. To reach customer service, call 206-296-6600 during the following hours: 9-11 a.m. and 12:30-2:30 p.m., Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri.