Forest practices permits
What is the purpose of a forest practices permit?
Forest practices permits are designed to protect public resources while assuring that the state of Washington continues to be a productive timber growing area.
What activities require this type of permit?
A forest practice permit is required whenever more than 5,000 board feet of merchantable timber is harvested from an area or property.
Forest practices fall into four classifications (see forest practices for detailed information). Class I and II forest practices on properties located outside of the Urban Growth Area and Class III and IV-Special forest practices are permitted through the Washington State Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and do not require a clearing permit from King County Department of Permitting and Environmental Review (Permitting).
Class IV-General forest practices are administered by King County through the Department of Permitting. Please refer to Class IV-General forest practices for the type of Class IV forest practice permit that is processed in a similar manner as a standard clearing and grading permit and the type involving a long term forest management plan. In addition, Permitting also reviews Conversion Option Harvest Plans (COHP) which can relieve a landowner from the mandatory development moratorium associated with forest practice permits issued by DNR.
How much will it cost?
See the Permitting Department's current fee schedule for an estimate and Class IV-General forest practices fee information (see below).
Where can I get an application?
- Refer to the Class IV-General forest practices
- Refer to the Conversion Option Harvest Plans Packet for those application materials
- Refer to the Forest Practice Moratorium Relief Packet for those application materials
- Request an application packet by mail by calling the Permitting Department customer service at 206-296-6600 or
- Pick up an application packet at the Permitting Department in Snoqualmie (see map and directions).
How do I submit my application?
See information on pre-applications as a pre-application meeting is required prior to filing a COHP application. For more information, refer to the individual application forms in the packets above and to Applying for a Permit at the Department of Permitting.
Notes / Comments
For more information, refer to
- Forest practices
- Washington State Department of Natural Resources (external link)
- Washington State Department of Natural Resources, Forest Practices Division (external link)
- or contact
950 Farman Street N.
PO Box 68
Enumclaw, WA 98022-9282
Washington Department of Natural Resources
The Department of Permitting and Environmental Review administers Class IV-General forest practices permits
For questions about Class IV-General forest practices permits or COHPs, contact customer service at 206-296-6600.