Skip to main content
King County logo

Many complaints can be resolved by talking directly to your public defender. Go to division phone numbers to locate the division number for your attorney. If you have the attorney's first and last name, you can also look up his or her phone number via the county's online directory.

If you cannot talk with your public defender and/or want to file a complaint, send a letter in writing to:

King County Department of Public Defense
710 Second Avenue, Suite 200
Seattle, WA 98104

Please include the following information in your letter:

  • Your name and address
  • Your attorney's name
  • Your case number and charge
  • An explanation of your complaint

DPD reviews complaints or concerns only about King County public defenders. It cannot investigate complaints against private attorneys, judges, prosecutors or attorneys in other jurisdictions. Only the defendant may file a complaint, even if the defendant is a juvenile. DPD does not accept complaints from family members or other third parties on behalf of the defendant. DPD does not accept anonymous complaints.

Please note that complaints submitted to DPD may be subject to disclosure as a public record.