COVID-19 and temporary service adjustments
For-hire driver COVID-19 vaccine eligibility
Good news! As of April 15, all people in Washington age 16 and older are eligible for COVID-19 vaccination.
Contact your regular healthcare provider to schedule a vaccine appointment (if available) or visit the state Department of Health's website and use the Vaccine Locations tool to find a clinic convenient to you.
For more information on COVID-19, visit kingcounty.gov/COVID.
Temporary process adjustments
Taxi, for-hire, or TNC drivers have potential COVID-19 exposure risks by being in close contact with passengers and by touching surfaces also touched by a person with COVID-19. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) created this web page to share tips specifically for taxi, for-hire, TNC, and other drivers-for-hire. The Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) also created a list of tips available in English and Spanish.
To help slow the spread of COVID-19, the King County Licensing Office temporarily suspended walk-in customer service. Please continue reading below to learn how we are temporarily adjusting for-hire licensing and permitting services.
Licensed taxi and for-hire drivers with a valid Washington State driver license have been receiving For-Hire License extensions. These extensions are being emailed to the address on record, so please watch your inbox, and check your spam or junk folders, as many of the emails wind up there. For those drivers who do not have an email address on record, the extensions are being mailed to your address on record via USPS First Class Mail. Visit our Driver page to check the status of your license.
For-hire licenses (taxi and for-hire)
- New applicants:
- Instead of applying in the King County office, submit the driver application materials by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to: King County Licensing, 500 4th Avenue, Room 403, Seattle WA 98104.
- After paying for your application fee, we will mail you a request form to take to the King County Sheriff's office for fingerprinting. The Sheriff's office is open and available to process Monday to Friday from 8:30am-2:30pm, and from 9:30am-2:30pm on the last Wednesday of the month.
- Your for-hire license will be sent to the mailing address you provided.
- Renewing drivers:
- For drivers who's for-hire license expires while the King County Licensing office is closed to walk-in services, the County has automatically extended your expiration date and sent your extension by email or, if you have not provided an email address, by USPS mail. The County may continue to adjust expiration dates in response to the ongoing COVID-19 situation and stay home order.
For-hire permits (TNC)
The TNC continues to be a driver’s main contact for applications, renewals, changes, and questions. Please ensure the TNC has your current email and mailing addresses, as the County will send you important documents.
- New applicants:
- You must provide a photo of yourself to the TNC in JPEG or PNG format.
- Your TNC will tell you when your permit is approved, and the County will email you an electronic copy of your permit and mail your vehicle endorsement decal directly to you. A TNC supplemental form will be included in this mailing. You must email the completed and signed form to email@example.com within seven (7) days.
- Renewing drivers:
- Safety inspections are required for all vehicles and must be performed by a mechanic approved by the City of Seattle. A list of these mechanics can be found on the City of Seattle's website.
- The County will email you an electronic copy of your renewed permit.