Transportation Regulation Improvement Project (TRIP)
What is the TRIP project?
The City of Seattle and King County are working together to implement new technology to simplify and improve taxi, for-hire and transportation network company (TNC) licensing and permitting processes.
- For-hire driver’s license, permit and vehicle medallion applications and renewals
- Application status updates
- License payments
- Vehicle and medallion changes
- Vehicle Inspections
What is the project timeline?
Project planning began in 2016 and we are launching in phases. Providing a system that works well and is easy to use is more important to us than how quickly we can begin using it, so we want to spend plenty of time developing and testing it. The first phase supports medallion-related activities and our staff have been using it since April 2019. Up next, we will open an online portal for customers to be able to submit medallion transactions online. After that, we will focus on for-hire driver license transactions, followed by for-hire permit and TNC transactions.
How will the project help drivers, owners, companies, and associations?
Benefits of the new system include:
- Ability to submit application and documents, make payments and check status anytime with a computer, smart phone, or tablet
- Reduced need to come into city or county offices
- Quicker response/processing times
- Simplified application processes
- Access to licensing history and records
Questions and Answers (Q&As)
Part of our efforts to share information about the project include gathering input from our customers and the public. Here are answers to questions we have received so far.