Skip to main content
King County logo

Download a claim form, or contact the Office of Risk Management at 206-263-2250 to have a claim form mailed to you. The claim form must be completed, signed, and mailed or delivered to the King County Clerk of the Council to be filed and assigned a claim number. It will then be transmitted to Risk Management and assigned to an investigator.

Yes. You must complete a claim form if you feel King County is responsible for your loss, injury, or damages.

An investigator will generally contact you within two to three business days after the assignment of your claim. Your assigned investigator will provide you with the claim number and will request the documentation needed to investigate your claim.

All claims are investigated through a process which may include contacting various agencies, witnesses, scene investigations, recorded statements, and document review. The length of time the investigation takes is dependent upon the type of claim filed.

After a claim is approved and we have received the original, properly executed release and W-9 form, it will normally take five to ten working days for the check request to be processed and the check mailed to you.

Most claims are resolved without the necessity of an in-person meeting. However, if you want to meet in person with your assigned investigator, please call first to make an appointment. Investigators are not available for drop-in visits as they are frequently out in the field.

Before a claim is filed and investigated, King County can not authorize reimbursement for a rental vehicle. If you need to rent a vehicle it is your own decision. King County must complete an investigation to determine responsibility prior to any authorization of a rental vehicle. You may consider contacting your own automobile insurance carrier for assistance in the meantime. Should you choose to rent a vehicle prior to authorization, you may be responsible for part or all of that expense.

At your discretion, you may want to ask your own insurance carrier about any coverage provided by them.

Yes. Estimates or receipts to support your claim may be necessary to establish your loss or damages.

You are responsible for all medical care and expenses you incur. If you believe King County is responsible for your injuries you must file a claim, and the circumstances surrounding your injury will be investigated. If a settlement is warranted it may include your medical bills.

The considerations in evaluating a claim include the particular facts of the alleged loss, the applicable law, the nature and extent of damages claimed, whether King County has legal responsibility, and the claimant's role in the situation.

Please note your preferred language for communications on your claim form. The Office of Risk Management will contact you through an interpreter service.

No. Workers compensation claims are handled by the Human Resources Division Safety and Claims Section. They can help answer your questions about workers compensation claims.


TTY Relay 711

Fax 206-296-0949