Concealed pistol license
Due to the restrictions put in place by the King County Executive and Washington State Governor, limited services have been implemented.
As of October 1st, Concealed Pistol Licenses are now being processed from certain locations as “Appointment Only” (CLICK HERE for details).
Please be aware that there is a tremendous number of individuals wanting to get their CPLs. We are limiting how many daily appointments we can schedule at all locations at this time. When we are able to process appointments more quickly, while continuing to maintain COVID safety precautions, we will be making adjustments to the number of appointments we can do per day. NO WALK IN APPOINTMENTS at this time.
Fingerprinting for CPL application is conducted during the application process - no 3rd party prints accepted.
When scheduling your appointment at the downtown Seattle location (via the QLess button below), if you see this message: “Sorry, no days currently available”, it means the scheduling calendar is currently full at this time. As appointments and cancellations are refreshed throughout the day, the page will be updated, so please check back frequently.
We appreciate your patience as we are reopening services and we will adjust to make further improvements.
To all citizens interested in applying for a Concealed Pistol License:
There are multiple locations in our jurisdiction where you can apply for a Washington State Concealed Pistol License. We have been made aware that when online, citizens are seeing advertisements and websites inviting them to apply for licenses through third party, private companies.
However, to obtain a Washington State Concealed Pistol License, you must apply with the county sheriff in which you reside or the city police (if you reside within city limits).
Companies that offer multi-state licenses cannot issue a Washington Concealed Pistol License, specifically. However, they may be able to process applications and issue a license for states of which there is a Reciprocity for Concealed Carry Firearm Licenses.
Please contact your local law enforcement agency should you have any questions regarding this matter.
This page provides information about Concealed Pistol Licenses, with regards to:
- Applying for an Original Concealed Pistol License
- Concealed Pistol Licenses for Out-of-State residents
- Renewing a Concealed Pistol License
- Replacing a Concealed Pistol License
Download a Concealed Pistol License application, valid for applying, renewing and replacing Concealed Pistol Licenses.
The application process for an Original Concealed Pistol License typically takes about 30-60 minutes to complete. This application process must be conducted IN PERSON. Process includes fingerprinting at time of application submittal (no 3rd party prints accepted). Some applications may take longer, so we appreciate your patience.
When you apply, the following are required:
- You must be 21 years of age, or older.
- You must be a citizen of the United States, or a permanent resident alien.
- If you are a permanent resident, you must provide your original Immigration issued Permanent Resident Card at time of application
- You must live in King County, or outside of WA state, in the case of non-resident applicants.
- You must have a current Driver’s License or State ID issued by Washington State or any other state. Passports or Military ID’s are not accepted in lieu of a state issued ID.
- If you have a Driver’s License or State ID issued by a state other than Washington, you may have a 60 day wait for an original application.
- The fee for an original Concealed Pistol License as of January 1, 2019 is $49.25.
- The waiting period to receive the Concealed Pistol License is 30 to 60 days, and will be mailed.
For any and all services provided by the Records Unit, it is recommended that you allow for at least a 2 hour timeframe at our downtown location to ensure adequate time to fulfill your requests to the best of our abilities. During holiday seasons or during major incidents beyond our control we will adjust as we can.
Fees may be paid by personal check or money order at all locations; cash is accepted at the Courthouse location ONLY. Please note that we do not accept third party checks, and are unable to process payment by debit or cards (Visa, Mastercard, etc).
Personal check/money order requirements:
- Any check or money order will need to be made payable to King County Sheriff’s Office or K.C.S.O.
- Checks must be preprinted and match the name on the license. If payment is to be applied to more than one license, BOTH/ALL names must be preprinted on the check.
- King County Sheriff’s Office will not accept 3rd party checks.
The Sheriff’s Office is able to process Concealed Pistol License applications for anyone who resides outside the state of Washington. Applicants must appear in person during business hours at the King County Courthouse in downtown Seattle or any of our local locations (by appointment only). The requirements are the same as with Original Concealed Pistol Licenses, and the fee is also $49.25. The waiting period to receive the Concealed Pistol License for non-residents is 60 days, and will be mailed.
Washington has reciprocity for Concealed Pistol Licenses issued by several other states, so long as the handgun is carried in accordance with WA state law. The Washington State Attorney General's web site provides a list of those states that have reciprocity with WA for Concealed Pistol Licenses.
Further information regarding concealed pistol licenses may be obtained at www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms
Links to external sites do not constitute endorsements by King County. By visiting this and other
King County web pages, you expressly agree to be bound by terms and conditions of the site
© 2017 King County
Locations and Times
King County Courthouse
516 Third Ave, Rm W-150
Seattle, WA 98104
Appointments can be scheduled weekdays during the hours of 09:00 – 15:00. See QLess information at the top of this page.