Larry Gossett Service Award
Criteria and Nomination & Selection Process
The Larry Gossett 2023 Service Award recognizes and affirms an individual or organization who has made significant contributions in the areas of racial equity, social justice, and/or human rights, the award is presented annually at the King County, Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration and selected by the King County Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration Planning Committee (PC) and the King County African American Affinity Group (AG).
- The nominee has been either personally or part of a community-based organization involved in making tangible, visible, and meaningful contributions to the advancement of equity, racial equity and social justice, and/or human rights; and
- The nominee must have been a King County resident or have worked in King County for at least one year and instrumental in a business, labor union, or advocacy group as described above for at least one year.
- Anyone can make a nomination.
- The Deadline for submitting nominations is November 28, 2022.
- Nominations must be submitted via the online nomination form. Please use the button below to access the form. If you have any questions, you can email email@example.com
- The PC and AG reviews all nominations and recommends finalists for the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.Celebration for consideration and final selection. Any member of the PC or AG who is nominated for the award must excuse themselves from discussions and voting during the selection process. Likewise, any immediate family members of nominees must also excuse themselves from the decision-making process.
- The PC will notify the winner in December and invite the winner to attend the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration.1
1 The Metropolitan King County Council Chair and/or the King County Executive will present the award at the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration.