Skip to main content

Towed/impounded vehicles

Learn how to request a court hearing to contest a vehicle tow or impound.

If your vehicle, or a vehicle that you are authorized to claim, was towed and/or impounded, you have the right to a hearing in the district or municipal court for the jurisdiction where the vehicle was impounded. The hearing provides an opportunity for you to contest (challenge) the validity of the impoundment or the amount of the towing and/or storage charges.

When you go to get your vehicle back, the tow truck operator must give you written notice of two things: 1) the right of redemption of the vehicle or item of personal property; and 2) your opportunity for a court hearing. They also must give you a form for requesting a court hearing.

Request a vehicle impound hearing

You will need to fill out the Registered Tow Truck Operator Impounded Vehicle Hearing Request form provided to you by the tow truck operator.

Deadline to request a hearing

You must file the Registered Tow Truck Operator Impounded Vehicle Hearing Request form with the Court within 10 days of the date the tow truck operator provided the form to you. If you do not request a hearing within 10 days, you will lose your right to an impound hearing.

Filing fee

The filing fee for impound hearings is $83. You can pay this fee by cash, personal check, money order, credit card or debit card. If you are unable to pay this fee, you may request a waiver of fees from the court clerk. To request a fee waiver, you will need to file by mail or in person.

How to file your hearing request with the Court

You can file the Impounded Vehicle Hearing request form with the Court in one of these ways:

The Court will notify you in writing when and where your hearing will be held.  You can present evidence at the hearing.