The Coal Creek Sewer Upgrade Project will upgrade a regional sewer line that serves Bellevue and Newcastle. Built between 1966 and 1991, the existing pipeline is nearing its maximum capacity and needs to be upgraded to carry more wastewater and meet the growing needs of the community.
Once installed, the new sewer pipe will serve the area for another 50 years or more.
Learn how we’re protecting and restoring the Coal Creek project area
We know that people are interested in what we are doing to protect and restore the Coal Creek Natural Area during this project. Check out our winter 2023 newsletter to learn about what you can expect to see during and after construction.
View the newsletter here Also, look for upcoming opportunities to visit and learn about the project site!
Select the "Sign up here" button in the Stay informed box to get updates, surveys, notices, and other information by email and/or text. You can unsubscribe anytime.
Previous project updates
- Protecting and restoring the Coal Creek project area, February 16, 2023
- Did you see the latest project updates? June 3, 2022
- Winter 2022 newsletter, March 2022
- Opportunities for input- one ends, another begins, January 6, 2022
- Bringing in the New Year with a project update, January 3, 2022
- Neighbor feedback needed on parking/transportation options on Forest Drive Southeast, August 16, 2021
- Tree surveys starting, and more time to add your input! August 9, 2021
- Reaching out to the community: Accessibility ideas for the Red Cedar Trailhead, July 27, 2021
- Crews will carry out surveys in the Coal Creek Natural Area beginning June 18, June 16, 2021
- Crews will carry out surveys in the Coal Creek Natural Area beginning April 14, April 8, 2021
- Upcoming geotechnical surveying near 130th Ave SE, March 1, 2021
- Field work continuing for the Coal Creek Sewer Upgrade Project, February 5, 2021
- Self-Guided Tour Signs, October 2020
- Project newsletter, September 2020
- Field work complete by Friday, August 28, trail impacts reduced on Thursday and Friday, August 26, 2020
- Field work making progress; expected to wrap up Friday, August 28, August 2020
- Field work underway in August- weekday trail closures beginning Monday August 3rd, July 2020
- Sewer upgrades in the works: Join us June 17 & 23 to learn more! June 2020
- Work coming up in Coal Creek Natural Area, May 2020
- Utility location with lane closure on Coal Creek Parkway starting as early as May 15, May 2020
- Final design is underway for the Coal Creek Sewer Upgrade Project! April 2020
- Roadwork with lane closures on Coal Creek Parkway starting as early as April 27, April 23, 2020
- Planned Coal Creek Natural Area surveying at the end of March and in early April, March 23, 2020
- Data gathering at pre-existing survey locations will start as early as February 26, February 19, 2020
- Minor maintenance activity in Coal Creek Parkway tomorrow, December 18, December 17, 2019
- Fall 2018 newsletter
- Field survey update: Work begins on Coal Creek Parkway Monday, July 15, July 12, 2019
- Field investigations coming up in Summer 2019, June 7, 2019
- Tree surveying for the Coal Creek Sewer Upgrade Project beginning May 7, May 2019
- Survey work in the Coal Creek Natural Area beginning March 11, February 2019
- A King County sewer upgrade project is coming to your area, December 2018.
(View online version.)
- Tree surveying in Coal Creek Natural Area Wednesday-Thursday, September 5-6, August 2018
- Field work for a new sewer line in Coal Creek Area continues in July, July 2018
- Survey activity week of May 14, 2018, May 2018
- Geotechnical work in the Coal Creek Parkway area begins in January, updated January 9, 2018
- Geotechnical work in the Coal Creek Parkway area begins in January, December 2017