What foods need an application for exemption from permit?
The following foods do not need a permit as long as they are the only foods served, but you must submit an Exempt from Permit application and obtain approval from the Health Department:
- Popcorn, including kettle corn.
- Cotton candy.
- Herbs and spices, if processed in an approved facility.
- Machine crushed ice drinks, such as slushies or slurpies. The frozen mix must dispense completely from a self-enclosed machine.
- Corn on the cob. It can have butter, shake on spices, or commercial mayonnaise from a squeeze bottle only.
- Whole roasted peppers.
- Roasted nuts or peanuts, including candy-coated.
- Fruits and vegetables. These samples must be non-TCS* produce.
- Chocolate-dipped ice cream bars prepared from pre-packaged ice cream bars produced in a food-processing plant.
- Individual samples of sliced fruits and vegetables that are non-TCS* foods.
- Chocolate-dipped bananas prepared from bananas peeled and frozen in an approved facility.
How do I apply for a permit exemption?
- Verify your food or food services do not need a permit.
- Complete the Application for Exemption from Permit (197 KB).
- Print and mail the completed form to:
Eastgate Environmental Health Services
14350 SE Eastgate Way
Bellevue, WA 98007
Seattle Environmental Health Services
401 5th Avenue, Suite 1100
Seattle, WA 98104