Skip to main content

Who can vote

Find out if you can register to vote in Washington State.

Who can register to vote in Washington State?

To register to vote in the State of Washington, you must be:

  • A citizen of the United States,
  • A legal resident of Washington State,
  • At least 18 years old by election day.

Voting with a felony conviction

If you have a felony conviction in Washington State, another state, or in federal court, your voting rights are restored automatically as long as you are not currently in jail or prison for that felony. You will have voting rights immediately after your release from prison following a felony conviction. You have voting rights regardless of community supervision status, outstanding legal fines, or court fees. 

After you are released, you must re-register to vote. You can re-register online, by mail, or in person.

You can register to vote even if you are under community supervision or have outstanding legal fees. As long as you are not currently incarcerated for the felony conviction, and meet the other qualifications, you are eligible to register and vote. 

For more information on felony voting rights, visit the Washington Secretary of State website.

If you have questions about your status with the Department of Corrections, call 800-430-9674.

You may not register if you are:

  • Disqualified due to a court order.
  • Currently in jail or prison for a Federal or out-of-state felony.
  • Currently in jail or prison under the jurisdiction of the Department of Corrections for a Washington felony conviction.

Future Voters

If you are 16 or 17 years old, you can sign up as a Future Voter and be automatically registered to vote when you turn 18. You may vote in a primary election if you will be 18 by the general election.

Common voter registration questions

Can I list a post office box or mailing address as my residential address?

No, your residential address must be where you live. We use this information to create a ballot with candidates and issues that impact you. 

However, you can receive your elections mail at any valid mailing location, including:

  • post office box
  • personal mailbox
  • college mailbox
  • military address
  • out-of-state
  • out-of-country address

All elections-related materials, including your ballot, will be sent to the mailing address you provide.

Can I register to vote if I live in a park, shelter, or other non-traditional housing?

If you don't have a traditional residential address, you can still register to vote.

Put the location where you live, such as a shelter, park, motor home, intersection, or other identifiable location you consider your residence on your registration form. We can use this information to register you to vote. You can read more about this at the Washington State Legislature Website.

You must provide a valid mailing address where you can receive ballots and other election information. A mailing address can be a post office box, address of a friend or relative, shelter, or general delivery at a local post office.