Skip to main content


Lower fares. More possibilities.

Get the most out of transit with reduced fares and ORCA LIFT! This card offers a convenient, more affordable way to get around Puget Sound.


Are you eligible?

Household income amount

To qualify, your gross household income (before taxes are taken out) must be no more than 200 percent of the Federal Poverty Level, as established by the U.S. Health and Human Services Department. Those receiving Apple Health Medicaid, WIC and Basic Food are eligible for the program.

200% of federal poverty level

Family Size Monthly Income
1 $2,510
2 $3,407
3 $4,303
4 $5,200
5 $6,097
6 $6,993
7 $7,890
8 $8,787

How to apply

  • See if you qualify

    Review the eligibility requirements above, or if you need help understanding if you qualify, call the Community Health Access Program (CHAP) 800-756-5437.

  • Apply for a card

    Apply online or in person at an authorized enrollment office. Be prepared with proof of income and proof of identity (see eligibility section).

    Apply over the phone by calling CHAP at 800-756-5437 and your card will be mailed to you.

    If you qualify, there is no initial fee for the ORCA LIFT card but you will need to load your card with funds to ride transit.

    Youth 18 and under are able to ride most transit in our region at no cost. Visit for more information.

  • Load your card to pay

    Before you try to pay for transit with an ORCA LIFT card, be sure to load it with money (E-purse) or a monthly pass.

    Note: stores such as Safeway and QFC are only able to load E-purse funds, not monthly passes. You can convert these E-purse funds to a pass by calling Metro at 206-553-3000 or by logging into your ORCA account.

  • Ride

    Plan your trip, tap your card and go!

Application documents

Acceptable income verification documents

Proof of enrollment in the following State programs

  • Apple Health/Medicaid (ProviderOne)
  • Washington Basic Food (EBT Card)
  • WIC (Women Infants Children)

Award Letters

  • Statement from Unemployment
  • Labor and Industries (L&I) statement
  • Other award letters: Social Security, Supplemental Security Income

If you currently do not have any source of income

  • Employment Security verification form (or screenshot from website) showing no income

If you are employed and paid by an employer

  • Proof of gross income for last 30 days (paystubs, screenshot showing income before any deductions taken)
  • If paid in cash, a statement signed and dated by employer stating gross income for the last 30 days; or a bank statement showing money deposited into your account


  • Copy of your most recent tax return. Income is based on the modified adjusted gross income on your most recent tax return: Form 1040 line 37; Form 1040 A, line 21; Form 1040 EZ, line 4; or completion of the self-employment worksheet
  • Gig Workers (Uber, Lyft, Door Dash): proof of your income (after expenses) for last 30 days

Documents that prove who you are

Current Government-issued photo ID

  • Driver’s license (any state or country)
  • Photo ID card from any state, province, county or country
  • Armed Services ID with photo
  • ID card from any foreign consulate
  • Passport from any country
  • School photo ID—university/college
  • Tribal ID
  • US certificate of citizenship, naturalization (with signature and photo)
  • Any other form of photo ID issued by a government agency of any country or a combination of two or more documents

Or, a combination of two or more documents

Non-government-issued document with name and a photo of you as an adult, and a document that indicates your name and birthdate, such as:

  • Adoption papers
  • Baptismal records
  • Birth certificate
  • Border crossing card
  • Court order
  • DHS "Trusted Traveler" cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • Driver's instruction permit
  • DSHS identification letter for those in custodianship
  • Employee ID card
  • Immigration ID
  • Marriage license
  • School records / transcript (certified)
  • Social Security card
  • Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC)
  • Unemployment card

What to pay

Your ORCA LIFT card gives you a reduced fare of $1.00 on Metro and many other transit systems around our region. Some agencies do not offer an ORCA LIFT fare—on those trips, you will need to pay the full fare with your E-purse or pre-loaded PugetPass.

Agency price list

Bus Service (Single Ride)

  • Local/Swift $1.25
  • Commuter $2.00

Bus Service (PugetPass)

  • Local/Swift $45.00
  • Commuter $72.00

Bus service (Single Ride)

  • Fixed-route $1.00

Bus service (PugetPass)

  • Fixed-route $36.00

Transit Service (Single Ride)

  • Bus Routes and RapidRide $1.00
  • DART Service $1.00
  • Metro Flex $1.00
  • Community Shuttle $1.00
  • Trailhead Direct $1.00

Transit Service (PugetPass)

  • Bus Routes and RapidRide $36.00
  • DART Service $36.00
  • Metro Flex $36.00
  • Community Shuttle $36.00
  • Trailhead Direct $36.00

Water Taxi Service (Single Ride)

  • West Seattle / Downtown Seattle$4.50
  • Vashon Island / Downtown Seattle $3.75

Water Taxi Service (PugetPass)

  • West Seattle / Downtown Seattle $162.00
  • Vashon Island / Downtown Seattle $135.00

Transit Service (Single Ride)

  • Fast Ferry (Eastbound) $1.00
  • Fast Ferry (Westbound) $5.00
  • Bus and Local Foot Ferry Service $1.00

Transit Service (PugetPass)

  • Fast Ferry (Eastbound) $36.00
  • Local Fixed-route (Single Ride) $1.00
  • Local Fixed-route (PugetPass) $36.00
  • Monorail (Single Ride) $1.75
  • Monorail (PugetPass) $36.00
  • Streetcar (Single Ride) $1.00
  • Streetcar (PugetPass) $36.00

Transit Service (Single Ride)

  • ST Express Buses $1.00
  • Sounder Trains $1.00
  • Link Light Rail $1.00

Transit Service (PugetPass)

  • ST Express Buses $36.00
  • Sounder Trains $36.00
  • Link Light Rail $36.00

†Regional Reduced Fare Permit for senior Riders (age 65 or older), Riders with a disability, Medicare card holders and U.S. military with ID.


  • King County Metro buses
  • King County Water Taxi
  • Community Transit buses
  • Everett Transit buses
  • Kitsap Transit buses
  • Pierce Transit
  • Seattle Center Monorail
  • Seattle Streetcar
  • Sound Transit Link light rail
  • Sound Transit Regional Express buses
  • Sounder Trains

Other agencies may accept the ORCA LIFT card, but you will need to pay a regular (not discounted) adult fare for transit aboard those vehicles. You can pay that fare with your card’s E-purse value or a PugetPass that you have loaded.

You will be credited the trip value of your PugetPass and will have to make up the difference with E-purse funds.

There is no initial card fee for qualified riders. If your ORCA LIFT card is lost, stolen or damaged, replacement cards cost $3. You are responsible for the cost to load E-purse or monthly passes to the card.

The ORCA LIFT card is good for two years from the time you receive it. Your card’s expiration date is printed on the back. If your card expires, you can apply to renew it for another two years by following the application process. Visit the Reduced Fare Portal for details.

You may use your ORCA LIFT card until it expires. When your card expires, simply reapply for the program or use your card to pay a regular Adult fare.

Youth 18 and under are able to ride most transit in our region at no cost. Visit for more information.

If you lose your ORCA LIFT card, report it right away. Your old card will then be locked and no longer valid for fare payment. Any valid E-purse or passes previously loaded onto your old card can be transferred to your new one.

Replace your card:

If you don’t have enough money to cover your next trip, the ORCA LIFT card will allow you to travel with a negative balance of up to -$2.75.

Just tap your ORCA card when boarding and you can pay the fare back before your next trip, when you reload your E-purse or PugetPass.

You can reload your card online at, with the myORCA app or at one of the many locations where ORCA cards are sold. To find a location near you, visit our retail map on