Gun Violence Resources
A completely preventable cause - Gun violence - is now the Second Leading cause of the death of our children, both by homicide and by suicide. The sales of guns in WA State is at an all-time high, matched by an all-time high level of deaths by gun - almost three fourths of these are death by suicide. Gun owners who practice gun safety, and non-gun owners alike, know that - whether it's domestic violence, community violence, suicide, or a mass shooting - putting guns in the hands of those who intend to do harm to themselves or others can, and should, be prevented at all levels.
Gun violence is now a national epidemic and in King County it is responsible for the murder and suicide of over 40,000 lives per year and of injuring 2 to 3 times more than that.
King County is facing this issue head-on on many levels and today passed a motion (proposed motion 2022-0221) requesting the King County Executive assess the feasibility of establishing a year-round voluntary safe firearm and ammunition return program within the King County sheriff's office.
Is there someone who may intend to do harm to themselves or others living in your home who has a gun readily available to them? Here’s how you can save their life, your life, or the lives of someone you love:
- Extreme Risk Protection Orders (ERPOs) Resources and FAQs
- Extreme risk protection orders reduce gun violence risks
- Firearm injuries and deaths in Washington state (Fred Rivara, MD, MPH, Firearm Policy and Injury Research Program, Harborview Injury Prevention & Research Center, University of Washington)
- In 2021, King County Executive Dow Constantine declared gun violence a public health emergency
- Washington State Gun Laws (Rebecca Johnson, Alliance for Gun Responsibility)
- Implementing Upstream, Evidence-Based Harm Reduction Strategies (Sandra Shanahan, Regional Domestic Violence Firearms Enforcement Unit)
- Scope of U.S. Gun Deaths
We in King County have an obligation to do all we can to ensure that we keep guns out of the hands of those who intend to do harm to themselves or others and we will never stop fighting to do so.