Skip to main content

Designated C&D processing facilities in King County, WA

Designated C&D facilities

As of Jan. 1, 2016, mixed construction and demolition (C&D) materials and C&D waste from jobsites located in King County (outside of Seattle) must be sent to the facilities listed below.

Designated C&D material recovery facilities (for mixed recyclable C&D material)

image: construction material processing facilities in King County
Local processing facilities

Designated C&D waste transfer facilities (for non-recyclable C&D waste)

  • Black River (owned by Republic)
    Mon-Fri: 6am–6pm
  • Cascade Recycling Center external link (owned by WM)
    Temporarily closed for upgrade
  • North Sound (owned by WM): 800-963-4050
  • Eastmont (owned by WM): 800-963-4050
    Mon–Fri: 5am-5pm Sat: 5am–1pm
  • Recycle Northwest (owned by WM): 800-963-4050
    Mon–Fri: 7am–4pm

Diversion rates for Material Recovery Facilities can be found on the City of Seattle’s Certified Facilities external link website.

Frequently asked questions

  1. Does the regulation apply to King County owned transfer stations?
    Small loads of C&D, such as pickup truck loads, may still go to King County facilities. However, the new regulation extends the ban on C&D contained in mechanized dump beds to trailers (in addition to trucks). King County transfer stations are designed and operated to manage the county’s municipal solid waste, not C&D waste.
  2. When did the bans become effective?
    The regulation became fully in effect as of January 1, 2016.
  3. What is a Designated Facility?
    A designated Facility is either a C&D Material Recovery Facility (MRF) or a privately owned transfer station that has a signed agreement with King County that permits it to accept mixed C&D and waste C&D from jobsites located within the county’s jurisdiction.
  4. Where can I locate a Designated Facility?
    View King County's list of Designated Facilities.
  5. What is defined as ‘mixed C&D’?
    Mixed C&D is contains both recyclable and non-recyclable C&D waste and material that has not been separated.
  6. Does the regulation apply to C&D materials that I separate from other waste for recycling?
    No, provided that each material is managed separately (e.g., wood, metal, wallboard, etc.). However, if the separated materials are mixed together it is considered ‘mixed C&D’ and must be sent to a Designated Facility.
  7. What areas are included in the County’s solid waste jurisdiction and subject to this regulation?
    The County’s jurisdiction for solid waste includes all areas of King County, including unincorporated regions, other than the cities of Seattle and Milton. Vehicle type restrictions do not apply to the Vashon Transfer Station.
  8. Does Seattle have similar requirements?
    Yes, visit the Seattle Public Utilities website external link
  9. Is painted drywall banned from disposal?
    Only new gypsum scrap is banned from disposal. Some C&D recycling facilities accept painted drywall for recycling but the material should first be tested to confirm that it does not contain lead or asbestos. Drywall removed during a remodel or demolition is still allowed to be landfilled.
  10. Can painted or treated wood be recycled?
    No, not at this time.
  11. How are you enforcing the regulations?
    The County has an enforcement specialist on staff whose job it is to enforce the regulations. The King County Sheriff’s office also provides enforcement support, when necessary.
  12. What happens if I do not comply with the regulation?
    Violators are subject to an initial fine of $100 that becomes $500 upon the second infraction. Subsequent infractions result in a doubling of the previous fine. In some cases, violators may also be subject to prosecution as a misdemeanor, which may result in fines and incarceration.

Contact Us

 Call: 206-477-4466

TTY Relay: 711

King County Solid Waste Division mission: Waste Prevention, Resource Recovery, Waste Disposal