Sustainable Purchasing Action Steps
- Can you avoid the purchase?
- Can you repurpose what you have?
- Can you get it secondhand from Surplus?
See what's available at the Surplus warehouse (707 S. Orcas St) or add items to your wish list; they'll notify you if it comes in. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Check for green contracts (even if it costs less than $10,000). We’ve already negotiated a great deal!
- Don’t see what you need? You can “piggyback” off another public agency’s contracts to save time.
- made with recycled content
- reusable or durable
- low: toxicity, VOCs, energy, or water
- Purchase in bulk
- Recycle packaging
- Choose standard shipping, not overnight
- Choose nearby sellers
$74 per transaction.
About our Sustainable Purchasing ProgramFormerly called the Environmental Purchasing Program
King County’s policies support the purchase of sustainable products and services that provide environmental, social and economic benefits.
King County is committed to continuously improving the impacts of its procurement of goods and services in a transparent and accountable way that balances fiscal responsibility, social equity, and environmental stewardship. The County’s sustainable purchasing policy focuses on sending a clear message to employees, suppliers, and other stakeholders that the County desires products and services that deliver key sustainability benefits and will increasingly be a criterion in purchasing.
The Sustainable Purchasing Program provides county personnel with information and technical assistance to help identify, evaluate, and purchase economical, effective, and sustainable products and services.