Skip to main content

I am in foreclosure. What do I do?

I am in foreclosure. What do I do?

Our next foreclosure auction will begin on September 18, 2024. You have until 4:30 pm on September 17th to submit payment and avoid foreclosure.

The foreclosure process on real property is initiated when any ONE tax, assessment, fee or lien becomes a full three years delinquent.

We have filed our Certificate of Delinquency, which included parcels that were delinquent from 2020 and prior; in order to remove your parcel from the foreclosure action, you must now:

  • Pay ALL taxes, fees, interest, penalties and foreclosure costs. 
  • Payment must be made in certified funds.
  • Payments by personal check will be returned with no exceptions. 
  • The online payment option is not available for properties in foreclosure. 

Payments are accepted only from parcel owners or parties with a recorded interest in the parcel.  If you are planning to pay on behalf of a taxpayer whose parcel is subject to foreclosure, you must provide notarized documentation granting you authority to do so, per RCW… Please click here to obtain the King County “Authorization to pay Property Tax as Agent” form.

Ways to find help

  • Your mortgage company may be willing to pay your outstanding taxes to protect their interest.  Please notify them of the impending foreclosure.

  • If you don’t know how you are going to find a way to redeem your parcel, and the parcel subject to foreclosure is your primary residence, the Washington Homeownership Resource Center operates the Washington State foreclosure hotline. They may be able to connect you with legal and/or rescue loan assistance. They can be reached at 206-542-1243 or toll-free by dialing 877-894-4663.

  • Housing counseling and legal assistance may be available at little or no cost to you. If you would like help determining opportunities to resolve your delinquency and avoid foreclosure, you might contact the statewide homeownership hotline at 1-877-894-HOME (4663).

  • Effective January 1, 2020. Owners of property which have been identified as “subject in foreclosure” or “in foreclosure” status may qualify for a ONE TIME WAIVER of all delinquent interest and penalties if requirements are met. Contact King County Treasury for additional information: 206-263-2649.

  • Contact us immediately at 206-263-2649 and provide us with your bankruptcy filing number or the receivership cause number if you have filed action to stay the foreclosure process. King County does not intend to proceed with foreclosure if a bankruptcy or receivership automatic stay prohibits such action.

  • The Servicemembers’ Civil Relief Act (SCRA) prevents certain property of a servicemember from being sold or foreclosed upon. Please contact our office immediately at 206-263-2649 if you are a servicemember or dependent of a servicemember and believe you may qualify for this relief.


You may qualify for exemption or deferral programs. Please note basic requirements:

  1. Exemption: You may qualify for a property tax reduction (exemption) if your income is $58,423 or less and you are 61 or older on or before December 31st, 2022 or be able to obtain a physician’s signature verifying your disability.
  2. Deferral: You may qualify for Washington State to pay your property tax which becomes a lien against the property. Disposable income must be $67,411 or less and you must be 60 or older on or before December 31st, 2022. If you qualify for a deferral you can avoid property tax foreclosure action.
  3. The property in question must be your primary residence.

If you believe you are eligible, please contact the King County Department of Assessments, at or call 206-296-3920 for information and assistance.