2.36.050 Community advisory committee for law enforcement oversight
Adopted by the full council September, 2018
A. The executive shall appoint, subject to council confirmation, a community advisory committee for law enforcement oversight to advise and work collaboratively with the office of law enforcement oversight.
B. The committee shall include up to eleven members who represent the diversity of the sheriff's service area. The committee shall include members who live in cities that contract with the sheriff for law enforcement services; members who live in unincorporated King County; and members who are selected at-large.
C. The committee members shall be appointed to three-year terms. Committee members may be reappointed to one additional term.
D. The committee shall:
1. Serve as a liaison between the office of law enforcement oversight and the communities it serves.
2. Advise the office of law enforcement on systemic problems and opportunities to improve law enforcement training, policies, and practices.
3. Advise the sheriff’s office and the council on matters of equity and social justice related to law enforcement including opportunities to reduce criminal justice involvement, decrease recidivism, abate inequities, and enhance fairness in the justice system.
4. Advise the sheriff and the council on systemic problems and opportunities for improvement in the law enforcement practices of the sheriff’s office.
1. The committee shall elect one or two chairpersons to preside over its meetings and guide the committee’s work process.
2. The committee shall meet at least one time per quarter and shall receive staff support from the office of law enforcement oversight at such meetings.
3. The committee shall keep minutes of its meetings.
4. The committee may form such task forces as it determines appropriate to consider matters under its review. 5. Committee recommendations shall be based on a majority vote of its members.
F. In consultation with the office of law enforcement oversight, the committee shall adopt bylaws that are consistent with the procedures of this section.