Skip to main content
King County logo

We are not taking in-person complaints at this time. 
To file a complaint, please call (206) 263-8870 or email

Filing a complaint

OLEO may receive complaints from any complaining party, including members of the public or employees of the Sheriff's Office. Complaints received by OLEO are forwarded to the Internal Investigations Unit (IIU) of the King County Sheriff’s Office for further review. If a complaint is identified for investigation by IIU, OLEO independently reviews the completed internal investigation and certifies whether it was thorough and objective. The incident does not need to happen to you in order to file a complaint. Complaints will be accepted from anyone, regardless of age and immigration status. The Sheriff’s Office explicitly prohibits retaliation against any person who comes forward with concerns and complaints.

If you wish to file a complaint about an encounter with, or the service received from, a King County Sheriff's Office employee, you may do so in the following ways: 

  • File a complaint with the King County Sheriff’s Office directly. You may also contact the precinct directly and ask to speak to a supervisor. See precincts and jurisdiction.
  • Complete the online form and e-mail it to us at, and we will forward your complaint to the Sheriff's Office IIU. (Note: the form cannot be saved online. You can fill it out online, but you will need to save it to your computer, or print it out and fill it out by hand.) 
  • Contact us by phone so we can write it down and forward it on to the Sheriff's Office IIU. The Sheriff’s Office explicitly prohibits retaliation against any person who comes forward with concerns and complaints.

A complaint may be considered for Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) if the allegation could be resolved better through talking and listening rather than through a formal disciplinary process.

More questions about the complaint process and what happens next? See the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page.

Filing a commendation

If you wish to commend a member of the KCSO, you may call that person’s supervisor, write a letter, or fill out our commendation form, and mail it to the employee, his or her supervisor, or the Inspectional Services Unit.

Your remarks will be shared with the employee, his or her supervisors, and the Sheriff.  A copy will be placed in the employee’s permanent employment record, and may be considered during performance evaluations.

You can also email your comments to: