Hidden water supplies are unusual and emergency places to find water if your water supplies are gone. Water supplies can become damaged in an emergency which can lead to contamination of normal water supplies.
Hidden sources of water inside your home
- Water can be drained from the drain spout of a water heater. Be sure the electricity and/or gas are off before opening the drain. Drain the water into a storage container.
- Water can be drained from the pipes inside your home. Open a faucet on the top floor of your home. Next go to the faucet at the lowest point in your home. Open the faucet and drain out the water you need into a storage container.
- Water from your toilet storage, or reserve tank, can be used if no chemicals have been used in this tank. Do not use this water if it is blue in color because chemicals have been used.
- Water that has been placed in ice cube trays in the freezer can be used.
Hidden sources of water outside your home
- These sources can be considered as a potential source; however, they may contain chemical or bacterial pollutants which could be hazardous to your health.
- Rivers and Streams
- Natural Springs
- Boil water from these sources for at least 10 minutes prior to drinking.
- CAUTION: Chemical pollutants will not be removed by boiling.
Water sources to be avoided
Avoid water that contains solid materials, has an odor, or has a dark color.