Skip to main content

Who to contact when starting a food business

To sell any food or beverage, you need to contact several agencies to find out what you need to do. Most agencies have an information specialist who can answer your specific questions. Which agencies you need to contact will depend on your particular business. When in doubt, call the agency.

Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board

Permits are needed to sell any alcoholic beverage. An information packet for license application is available at 360-664-1600.

Washington State Liquor Control Board, Seattle Office
2101 6th Ave
Seattle, WA 98101

Building departments

You may need to contact your local building department to discuss issues such as zoning and building occupancy requirements, plan review, inspections, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, ventilation, etc.

Street use requirements

For issues involving street use permits for mobile food carts and sidewalk cafes:

Sewer availability

Business licenses