Get involved in the Native Plant Salvage Program!
King County, Washington
Native plant salvage events are scheduled on the first Saturday of November, December, February and March. Free plants are offered to those who volunteer.
Native plant salvaging is an ideal volunteer project for individuals and groups of all kinds:
- Learn about native plants and animals
- Help protect fish and wildlife habitat
- Meet others interested in habitat enhancement
- Help restore streams and wetlands
- Get outdoors and dig
Help provide trees and shrubs for habitat restoration
You can help enhance our streams and wetlands by nurturing plants at the King County's Native Plant Holding Facility near Sammamish. The Native Plant Salvage Program provides low-cost native plants for King County-sponsored revegetation projects for restoration of salmon and other aquatic habitat on streams, wetlands and estuaries. Native trees and shrubs that are removed from construction sites are stored at the Holding Facility until they can be replanted at project sites. Volunteers are needed to help care for the plants and maintain the Holding Facility.
Volunteers pot-up salvaged plants and care for existing trees and shrubs. Some knowledge of gardening or native plants is helpful but not essential. Volunteers can schedule a work session to fit their needs. Free plants are offered to those who volunteer.
By working at the Native Plant Holding Facility you can:
- Help enhance wildlife habitat throughout King County
- Learn about native plant identification and propagation
- Get involved in an ongoing volunteer project which can be worked into your schedule
- Discover an ideal service project for your school group, scout pack, or other organization.
- Reduce the cost of projects that help improve water resources
Get involved and help make a difference!
For information on getting involved in the native plant salvage program contact contact Cindy Young.
- Learn how to shrink your lawn with native plants
- Go Native plant guide
- Donate native plants to the salvage program
- Live stake cutting and planting tips
- Native plant resources
- Where to get native plants
- Native plant identification, propagation & landscaping (external link)
- Thurston County Native Plant Salvage Program (external link)
- Pierce County Native Plant Salvage Program (external link)