Skip to main content
King County logo
  • Contact your local agency for sewer service availability. Refer to the King County Wastewater System with Local Sewer Service Providers map to identify your local agency.
  • If you still need help, email us your request and include the site address.

A capacity charge is a charge billed to property owners with a new sanitary sewer connection on or after February 1st, 1990. Visit the Capacity Charge web page for more information on the capacity charge and how to make payments. 

  • The LPA inspector’s role is to make sure that the LPA project requirements are carried out as written in the approval letter or stated in the project plans.
  • For direct connections, the LPA inspector’s responsibility is to monitor the construction at the connection to the King County sewer system from the new local agency or private sewer line. The remainder of the new sewer line from the point of connection is the jurisdiction of the local agency.
  • The local agency’s inspector’s responsibility is to conduct sewer testing. The LPA team will request a copy of the sewer test results.
  • The LPA team should have reviewed the construction plans and submitted either a letter defining the conditions of approval or provided project requirements to be added to the plans.
  • The LPA team should be notified of the pre-construction conference and day(s) of construction so that we can attend. 
  • During construction:
    • The LPA inspector is onsite to monitor and ensure that WTD’s conditions of approval and/or project requirements are followed by the contractor and the local agency.  
    • The local agency is responsible for ensuring that their contractor follows WTD’s conditions of approval and project requirements.
    • The contractor shall notify the LPA Inspector and local agency of any issues or changes during construction. Significant changes to the final plans may require a change order to be submitted to the LPA team for review approval.  
  • As-builts should be submitted to the LPA team once construction is completed.

Note that the above process applies to direct connections, King County system modifications, or construction impacts to the King County sewer system.

Each local agency has their own procedures to inspect and test new sewer connections. Please note the following:

  • The LPA team requests that you submit a copy of your sewer test records to serve as evidence that testing was completed.
  • There are no standard template or formatting requirements to record sewer results.

If your company or facility sends wastewater to the King County sewer system during manufacturing, remediation, cleaning, or rinsing processes, it is most likely discharging industrial wastewater and is subject to local, state, and federal regulations. As such, you will be required to get discharge approval from the King County Industrial Waste Program. Please visit the Industrial Waste Program web pages for more information.

Typically, groundwater and stormwater from a construction site are treated and sent to a surface water body, either directly or through a storm drain. If the treated water does not meet water quality criteria; or if direct or indirect discharge is not available, it may be possible to send the treated water to the sanitary sewer. However, you must get permission from the local sewer agency to send this treated water to the sewer in addition to obtaining an Authorization for Construction Dewatering from King County Industrial Waste. If the proposed dewatering discharges directly to a King County sewer, you will also need to get approval from the LPA Program to use the facility for the discharge.

The Metropolitan Water Pollution Abatement Advisory Committee (MWPAAC) is made up of representatives from cities and local sewer agencies. MWPAAC holds meetings regularly to discuss matters related to the wastewater system. Please visit their web pages to learn more about their subcommittees. If you are interested in joining a MWPAAC subcommittee and/or receiving regular subcommittee announcements, please contact Marla Oughton.