Any person who presents proof of one or more of the following can get a Regional Reduced Fare Permit:
- Is at least 65 years of age
- Is now eligible for Social Security disability benefits or now gets Supplemental Security Income Benefits because of disability (Temporary RRFP)
- Is now certified by the Veterans Administration at a 40 percent or greater disability level
- Has a valid Medicare card issued by the Social Security Administration (Temporary RRFP)
- Has a valid Regional ADA Paratransit eligibility letter or card
- Has a valid ADA Paratransit eligibility letter or card from outside the region (Temporary RRFP)
- Has obvious physical impairments meeting one or more of the RRFP Eligibility Criteria
- Is certified by a Washington State-licensed physician (M.D.), psychiatrist, psychologist (Ph.D.), Physician Assistant (P.A.), Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner (A.R.N.P.), or audiologist (certified by the American Speech and Hearing Association) as meeting one or more of the RRFP Eligibility Criteria. Call Metro at 206-553-3000 (WA Relay: 711) to get a certification form or use the RRFP Application Form and have your doctor fill it out before you register.
A Personal Care Attendant Regional Reduced Fare Permit is available for persons who require an aid to help with travel all or some of the time.
Paying with an ORCA RRFP
An ORCA RRFP card allows you to receive reduced fares on participating transit systems. You may either present your ORCA RRFP to the driver and pay the reduced fare in cash, or load your ORCA RRFP with a PugetPass or E-purse (Electronic Purse) and pay fare by tapping the ORCA card reader.
Transfers and ORCA RRFP
Paying your fare with a valid ORCA RRFP loaded with a PugetPass or E-purse provides automatic transfers within two hours on participating transit systems. Metro drivers will provide paper transfers upon request when you pay cash. Paper transfers are valid only on Metro buses.
Monthly PugetPass on an ORCA RRFP
You may load a monthly PugetPass onto your ORCA RRFP to pay your reduced fares. Since reduced fares on Metro are $1 per trip, you will need to purchase a $36 Monthly PugetPass.
A Monthly PugetPass is available for purchase in the following ways:
- Online at myORCA.com
- By mail with an ORCA Order Form
- In-person at Metro's Pass Sales Office or contact Neighborhood Pop-Up
- At third-party ORCA retail outlets
The $36 PugetPass on an ORCA RRFP will cover your fare on King County Metro buses and cover $1 on any trip taken on participating transit agencies (Credit does not apply to trips on Washington State Ferries.) If the fare on other systems is more than $1, you will need to pay the difference.
Load value automatically
Set-up Autoload to automatically load a new PugetPass or E-purse onto your ORCA card when you need it. PugetPasses load automatically the first time you ride in a new calendar month. E-purse loads automatically when the value on your card isn’t enough to cover the full cost of your trip.
- Online at myORCA.com
- By mail, first call 206-553-3000 (TTY: 711) to request an Autoload form or print one from myORCA.com.
- In-person at the Metro's Pass Sales Office
The Autoload function will be ready to use about 24-48 hours after your request is processed. Be sure to use your card at least once in the first 60 days so the Autoload activates and is ready when you need it.
You can trade in your old Senior Regional Reduced Fare Permit for an ORCA RRFP at any time. Just mail or bring in your old permit, and we'll give you an ORCA RRFP at no charge.
Permanent Disabled RRFP
You can trade in your old Permanent Disabled RRFP for an ORCA RRFP at any time. Just bring in your old permit, and we'll give you an ORCA RRFP at no charge.
Temporary Disabled RRFP
Temporary Disabled Regional Reduced Fare Permits are available at Metro's Pass Sales Office or Neighborhood Pop-Up.
New Temporary RRFP card holders will always get an ORCA RRFP card.
Getting an ORCA RRFP without an existing RRFP card
See "How to apply" above.
You can replace your senior RRFP ORCA card in person at the Metro Pass Sales office or by mail. Once the old card is replaced it will be blocked and can no longer be used for fare payment. Once the replacement has been made, the card cannot be unblocked.
The replacement mail order form can be found at myORCA.com under "Get a card". The fee to replace a RRFP card is $3. Any valid passes, E-purse, and/or active Autoload will be transferred to your new card automatically.
If you want to block your card without ordering a replacement, call Metro Customer Information at (206) 553-3000 / TTY: 711.
Replacing your disabled RRFP ORCA card must be done in person due to the need to take your photograph. Visit the Metro Pass Sales office with your photo ID and proof of disability to get your replacement card. Once the old card is replaced it will be blocked and no longer valid for fare payment. Once the replacement has taken place, the card cannot be unblocked.
The fee to replace a RRFP card is $3. Any valid passes, E-purse, and/or active Autoload will be transferred to the new card automatically.
If you want to block your card without ordering a replacement, you can call Metro Customer Information at (206) 553-3000 / TTY: 711.