Eligible school groups must:
- Be a public school in King County, or a public school in Pierce or Snohomish County located within the Wastewater Treatment Division service area
- Have a school low-income percentage of at least 35%
- Be between 20 to 70 people
- Be attending a field trip at a participating program
Note: Wheels to Water is available only once per group per school year.
For Field trips with Brightwater, South Plant, or Mountains to Sound Greenway Trust:
- Schedule your field trip directly with the participating program.
- After your field trip is confirmed, your scheduler will direct you to Wheels to Water Request Registration.
- Submit your request to Wheels to Water at least 3 weeks in advance.
- Our staff will work with Metro transit to arrange all the details about time and pickup/drop-off location(s).
- A confirmation will be emailed to you with an attached transit report 1 to 2 weeks before your trip.
- Before your trip, print two copies of the transit trip report.
Wheels to Water uses standard 40-passenger or large 70-passenger coaches.
Buses are available Monday through Friday between 8 am and 3 pm.
Buses often continue providing regional transportation in the middle of the day and will leave the field site after drop-off and return for afternoon pickup.
When approved, your bus is free. We will take care of all costs and logistics. If you chose reimbursement for school-provided transportation, we will request that an invoice be sent to email@example.com.
This program is funded by water and sewer rates. The program supports regional access to education programs that teach students about water and their daily choices that affect our water systems and regional water quality.