Skip to main content

Permit fees - Building and land use

Please see below for our access to our fee guides for building and land use permits, effective January 1, 2023.

Pre-Development Services fees

The Pre-Development Services Fee Guide (82KB) lists fees on:

  • Critical Area Designation
  • Pre-application Conference
  • Zoning Inquiry
  • Code Interpretation
  • Work without Permit Investigation

Single Family Residential fees

The Single-Family Residential Construction Fee Guide (87KB) for a new dwelling, remodel, repair, or accessory structure fees.

The School Impact Mitigation Fee Guide (87KB) for school impact fees.

Commercial or Multifamily Residential fees

Use fees

The Use or Shoreline Permits Variances and Zoning Amendment Fee Guide (86KB) lists fees for:

  • Use permits
  • Variance
  • Critical Area Alteration Exception
  • Flood Plain Permit
  • Shoreline Permit or Exception
  • Map Amendment

Land Division fees

The Land Division and Plat Construction Fee Guide (86KB) lists fees for:

  • Land Division Preliminary Plat
  • Boundary Line Adjustment
  • Other Land Segregation
  • Plat Construction and Final Approval

Other services fees

Septic systems

New septic systems, or improvements to an existing septic system, are reviewed and approved by the Public Health Department before a permit is issued.

Check Wastewater (On-site Septic) Program fees

Fee waivers

In accordance with 27.02.040 of the King County Code, fee waivers are granted at the discretion of the Permitting Division Director and are limited to the following criteria:

  • If fees collected are for service not performed If fees duplicate another fee or charge for a service for which a fee has already been collected
  • If fees are based on a professional error or unnecessary review by a Department of Local Services, Permitting Division employee
  • If a customer has incurred additional expenses due to a process error by a Permitting Division staff member
  • If fees are assessed to replace, repair, abate, or demolish a structure due to property damage caused by a natural disaster
  • While the Executive's state of emergency concerning homelessness (314KB) is in effect, we will not assess or collect fees for temporary use permit applications for homeless encampments in unincorporated areas.

Apply for permits online

You can apply for most King County building and land use permits online using

Learn which permits you can apply for online

Make a payment

If you did not apply for your permit through, please make a payment through the King County permit portal

King County permit portal

If you applied for your permit through that is where you should make a payment.